What should I get?

Shikyo2

• Members

Play it all, preferably amped up, and buy what you like, if you've got the scratch.

Feel and tone and all aren't just about the type of bass, it's how you interact with the instrument that makes or breaks the experience, and the only way you'll be able to test that is to play before you buy. :)

• Members

I have a crappy beginner bass. I am trying to save up money for a quality bass, which will take several months. I have no idea what I should buy as my second bass. I'm thinking about buying a P, J, 4003, or Thunderbird.

Whatever you do, please play them all BEFORE you decide to purchase. If you can't go to your local music store to play them, find someone or some place that does. Ask nicely, you'll be surprised what can happen. Try to do it with something similar to the gear that you have in a comfortable atmosphere, if at all possible.

• Members

Play it all, preferably amped up, and buy what you like, if you've got the scratch.

Feel and tone and all aren't just about the type of bass, it's how you interact with the instrument that makes or breaks the experience, and the only way you'll be able to test that is to play before you buy.
:)

+ 1 Gazillion. Don't know why I didn't see yours before posting previously.

• Members

Go to a music shop and try a few, chances are you won't be able to try a 4003 but there should be a myriad of P and J type basses to have a noodle about on.

Try a stingray if you get a chance as well, form some ideas on what type of neck and body fits you well then move onto which pups, pre-amp...etc form the tone which you like (it's a little hard because some basses sound a little different at extreme volume, although this is mainly down to the amp).

Buying blind on your second bass is *not* a good idea, although rather hypocritically, I did just that... I was in a situation where my local shop had 75+ guitars and about 5 basses :freak:

Whatever you do, please play them all BEFORE you decide to purchase. If you can't go to your local music store to play them, find someone or some place that does. Ask nicely, you'll be surprised what can happen. Try to do it with something similar to the gear that you have in a comfortable atmosphere, if at all possible.

haha! thats very spiritual, not something I subscribe to though :p

• Members

Go to a music shop and try a few, chances are you won't be able to try a 4003 but there should be a myriad of P and J type basses to have a noodle about on.

Try a stingray if you get a chance as well, form some ideas on what type of neck and body fits you well then move onto which pups, pre-amp...etc form the tone which you like (it's a little hard because some basses sound a little different at extreme volume, although this is mainly down to the amp).

Buying blind on your second bass is *not* a good idea, although rather hypocritically, I did just that... I was in a situation where my local shop had 75+ guitars and about 5 basses
:freak:

haha! thats very spiritual, not something I subscribe to though
:p

:cop::p Yerself. Hah. Okay, well while it may not be that you'll have the opportunity to do what I perscribed, it's a good suggestion, no? Yes, chances are you're not going to be able to play a 4003, but in my case of visiting a local GC as it turns out, the owner had 2 of them personally. But being a brute doesn't leave the door open if you're just going inside a store, ripping basses of the racks, turning up the gear to decibels not meant for man and pissin' off the customers as well as the staff (for the millionth time) chances are you're not gunna be able to play that Ric. Besides going to the music store like that is only good when you're drunk. :blah:

• Members

Do you have any other basses appart form the Mockingbird? If not, I can see we have very diffirent ways of going about things ;)

The way I look at it, if you like the colour, tone and fit... you're more than likely to "bond" with the instrument ;)

• Members

snip

I normally go to local shops to scope out my buys. I'll drag a combo or something around back, towards the PA gear, and play to my heart's content with what I'm looking at. :)

If I CAN'T, I get all nervous and play that way until I decide if the bass is me or not. :p

• Members

Do you have any other basses appart form the Mockingbird? If not, I can see we have very diffirent ways of going about things
;)

The way I look at it, if you like the colour, tone and fit... you're more than likely to "bond" with the instrument
;)

The Ibanez to answer your question. I like the feel of the neck and with a few modifications, the tone that it puts out. In the future, I'll be making better decisions on what I purchase. I was more or less in the same situation that you were in, I bought blind on the B.C. while I can't really knock it, it's just not for me the feel of it is different and I found myself playing the Ibanez a lot more. So much so that it's the reason why the Mock is going. I figure if I'm not gonna play it, why have it?

• Members

I normally go to local shops to scope out my buys. I'll drag a combo or something around back, towards the PA gear, and play to my heart's content with what I'm looking at.
:)

If I CAN'T, I get all nervous and play that way until I decide if the bass is me or not.
:p

Avatar change = one thing I can only think of everytime I will now see that pic. "THE DUDE".

Archived