Here's an example of bad customer service... (JimsGuitars.com)

der oxenrig

• Members

We auditioned a new singer for us today (who was pretty good-sounded a bit like Freddy Mercury). He locked his keys in his car, so we used that as an excuse to go to Catonsville (where he lives) to retrieve his spare keys, and to check out Jim's Guitars. They're the only Orange dealer in the area, and I really wanted to try out the AD200B. So we walk in, and they've got a pretty good selection of old stuff. I see they only have one Precision bass, and it's in the roped-off section. I politely ask the salesguy (that's no older than me) if I can try it through the AD200B. He asks me, "Am I going to buy it?"

I tell him, "Maybe I will, but I'd like to try it first."

"Well, these are more for a buyer's market than a player's market." :rolleyes:

"Well, what's the point of buying an instrument if you aren't going to play it?"

He then starts going on about how if I had a '59 Les Paul, that it'd diminish in value by $2,000 per scratch. Whooptee {censored}ing doo. It's a Precision bass, not a Les Paul. So I decide to forget about the Precision, and ask if I can play the cheap Washburn XB-100 they have there instead through the Washburn. He then says he'll "be right back," and then vanishes into the back room. Five minutes later, he's still not back. Meanwhile, his boss is on the phone the whole time, completely ignoring us. We then left, me cursing under my breath.

{censored} 'em. :mad: I'll never buy ANYTHING from them, even if they are the only Orange dealer in the area.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I find it ridiculous that he wouldn't let you touch a USED INSTRUMENT that by his own description has wear and scratches already.

This is also exactly the kind of music store owner that bitches and moans every time a Guitar Center opens its doors nearby, because they're "squeezing out the little man." Um, well, maybe if you let some of your customers touch the instruments without all the attitude, then they would have no interest in dealing with Guitar Center.

• Members

I {censored}ing hate 95% of music shops because of this. I'll tell you what though...if I find a good one, I will spend a ton of money there. It's funny that these business are run in such a way that it actually hurts their business. Dumbasses.

Dan

Places like the one you mentioned are why I either go to Guitar Center or shop online for stuff I need. The place I mentioned here lost another sale to me on Friday. I called right at 6 o'clock, when they were closing, looking for a set of gold schaller straplocks. Not only did the person pick up the phone, but was really adamant in making sure I realized that they were closed now, and wouldn't help me. Had they just not answered, or even said "I'm sorry, we're closed right now and I won't be able to help out." that would've been fine. So, I ended up calling another place in town (which I hate), but they picked up, said they'd keep the straplocks for me behind the counter and they opened up at 11 on Saturday.

• Members

I was at a guitar shop in Williamsburg, VA recently that had little clips on the strings of every guitar that said, "Ask Before Playing"

The owner followed me around the whole time. He made grunty noises of displeasure when I went into the "rare guitar" room. When I left that room, he locked it behind us.

Maybe some of these Mom and Pop stores we romanticize should go out of business...

• Members

I was at a guitar shop in Williamsburg, VA recently that had little clips on the strings of every guitar that said, "Ask Before Playing"

The owner followed me around the whole time. He made grunty noises of displeasure when I went into the "rare guitar" room. When I left that room, he locked it behind us.

Maybe some of these Mom and Pop stores we romanticize should go out of business...

Thats {censored}ed up :freak:

There's one shop here that are really weird about people trying out gear, they're wayyyy overpriced too! I've seen them selling modified LTD's to make them look like ESP's and bumping up the price too!

• Members

I really can't knock a store that has a "Ask before playing" on their instruments. We had a place like that in town, and when I originally inquired about it, the owner said "are you gonna buy an instrument that's been beaten up by a bunch of tire-kicking kids? I can't afford to keep 5 copies of this in the back and use one strictly as a demo."

• Members

hell i love showing our guitars to customers......i usually end up playin a little bass backup with them......however i will ask the to take off belt buckles...............

Makes sense, I always pull my tshirt down over my belt or take it off while playing bass. I don't like bucklerash! :mad:

• Members

I always ask in shops before I pull a bass down from the wall, even when I know I dont have to. There are shops in London where if you don't BS about having whacked off Mark King with Jaco Pastorius' old socks they treat you like sh*t. In those shops you should ask if you're cool enough before you walk in. Surprisingly when I went in on a lunch break in my suit i think they get the

• Members

My local music shop manager will just walk off mid conversation if you aren't buying anything apparently, i've never had him do it to me... but that's because i'm always buying something :p

Seems you have to be a bit of a twit as part of the job description? But then again I guess they see so many time wasters, that they get perhaps a little cynical over time *shrug*

• Members

Lots of the little shops seem to be shooting themselves in the foot, IMHO. The smart ones are focusing on service, and providing value to their local musical community.

And also internet sales. The Music Center in Kenosha is a great example of this.

• Members

And also internet sales. The Music Center in Kenosha is a great example of this.

For specialty places like Bass NW, absolutely. I think it's hard for the non-specialized mom and pop stores to compete on the internet. The huge internet companies offer huge selections and and services they can't.

• Moderators

One of the many reason Chicago Music Exchange is great is because they have irreplaceable inventory and zero attitude. Anyone can play anything anytime. I've played many a vintage P through an AD200B there. FWIW, I'm unimpressed with that amp.

• Members
One of the many reason Chicago Music Exchange is great is because they have irreplaceable inventory and zero attitude. Anyone can play anything anytime. I've played many a vintage P through an AD200B there. FWIW, I'm unimpressed with that amp.

What didn't you like about it?

I still can't believe some of the stuff I got to play when we went there-I'll definitely be making another visit there the next time I come up that way.:D

• Moderators

What didn't you like about it?

I have yet to be able to get it to grunt without running out of steam, but I have yet to play it with any other speakers and it might be the Orange Cab it is paired with. Also, as you know, the bass audition room is not the best room to audition a bass amp.

Archived