Ibanez SR500... Any thoughts on this bass?

e4c4ever

• Members

I tried one out at GC and like how it sounded. The action is pretty good and feels like a midrange ($$) bass. Has anyone had experiences with this model?

It sounded good, with tweaking you can get a bunch of cool tones. I plugged in through a Fender Bassman 100... Whhat amps sound good with this bass?

Thanks.

• Members

i spent time with the 4,5, and 6 strings versions and they all played pretty good. i liked the necks, they were all skinny, but still had depth and heft to them. it was my first time playing a 6er, and i had no problem with the neck width. i loved the sound of the barts. i played them through a gk 700rb-ii through the new metal cone gk 4x10, and i was very impressed with the overall sound. i have an ibanez rd500 and ive had it for 4 years and ive never had an issue with it. ibanez tends to make good quality instruments for the money. for the price, and looking at what other basses are available at the price, it certainly looks like a good deal to me.

just my 2 cents...

• Members

I like the SR505. They're probably the best basses in their price class, IMO. Ibanez has a funky reputation among bassists, for whatever reason, but they make good instruments, especially when you get into the 500, 700, 900 and 1000 series basses, although once you get into that $700+ price range, the competition is stiff. For the price of the SR500, you'll be hard pressed to find something that sounds and plays as nice.

C7

• Members

I thought the Barts were standard on the SR500 series... ?

They are. They aren't the nicest Barts but they're better than what's on almost every other bass in their class.

The Prestige series basses are great, but IMO the other basses in that class just have more to them. If I had $1200 to spend on a bass, I probably wouldn't buy an Ibanez, but if I was limited to, say, $500, they would be the first basses I looked at.

C7

• Members

They are. They aren't the nicest Barts but they're better than what's on almost every other bass in their class.

The Prestige series basses are great, but IMO the other basses in that class just have more to them. If I had $1200 to spend on a bass, I probably wouldn't buy an Ibanez, but if I was limited to, say, $500, they would be the first basses I looked at.

C7

I thought there was an older 500 range that had Ibanez pups? I might be wrong

• Members

Fieldy (KoRn's Bassist) plays (or PLAYED!) a SR505.

I'd recommend as a fan of him.

BUT,

I am a BiGGeR fan of Yamaha's.

My current bass is the little bro of the RBX 374 (the RBX170).

In case you didn't get it cause I type it weird.

I own the little brother of the RBX374 it's called the RBX170.

Archived