Sign in to follow this  
kcswimjustin

Is there any way to tell if a file has been dithered?

Hi folks,

A quick question: Is there any audible way to tell if a track has been dithered or not?

I understand that an A/B comparison between a dithered track (recorded at 24/44.1) and an un-dithered one might reveal a difference, but in isolation, is there any way to tell, either by looking at the waveform or listening for some telltale sign?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Unless you have a before and after its unlikely you'll be able to detect it.

Up and down sampleing have simular effects of adding noise.

It's like a photograph thats been resampled. Is the photo that quality because the camera

photographed at that quality, or was the photo of higher quality and it lost some quality enlarging it?

Heres one of the better articles I've come across on Dithering and sample rate conversion.

It has pictures to show you results. http://www.audiorecording.me/dithering-and-sample-rate-conversion-before-mp3-encoding-complete-study.html

yes, you can amplify an empty passage up to a level you hear either a masking noise , or a butcher cut,

and what WRGKMC said, when you know your dithering noises, then you also hear if it was dithered, you can also zoom into the dither noises and learn how they all differ from each other

Sign in to follow this