Are shock cases worth it?

skatalite

• Members

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that as long as it's in an ATA-style case you'll be fine. If you're worried, set the case on a moving blanket you can pick up at any U-Haul/Ryder/Budget type place... it's a thick blanket to protect things while they're in the truck. Don't know if they sell them but they're easy to ... commandeer.

I was going to go with a shock case for my stuff but the weight is ridiculous. I'm not lifting 150 extra pounds in and out of my car when a two pound blanket can do arguably just as much. Even if you've got a ramp there's the off-chance you'll be lifting up a set of stairs, etc... not cool. Even if the weight isn't a concern, factor in that it's impossible for one person to lift the thing because of the width between handles.

• Moderators

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that as long as it's in an ATA-style case you'll be fine. If you're worried, set the case on a moving blanket you can pick up at any U-Haul/Ryder/Budget type place... it's a thick blanket to protect things while they're in the truck. Don't know if they sell them but they're easy to ... commandeer.

I was going to go with a shock case for my stuff but the weight is ridiculous. I'm not lifting 150 extra pounds in and out of my car when a two pound blanket can do arguably just as much. Even if you've got a ramp there's the off-chance you'll be lifting up a set of stairs, etc... not cool. Even if the weight isn't a concern, factor in that it's impossible for one person to lift the thing because of the width between handles.

All good points. Trailer makes me think he isn't the one that makes the final check before closing the door every time. The weight sucks, but it is better protection.

• Members

YES.

'nuff said.

+1 Except for the 'nuff said part. :D

Got in a wreck on tour. Nothing too serious, just ended up being an amazing headache trying to make repairs along the way. I was thankful I had road ready cabs and my head in a shock mount case. The bolt that held the transformer onto the housing of the amp came loose, but it must have already been coming loose from vibration as it was. Other than that, my gear was perfect after that wreck.

• Members

Our keyboardist has one for his Kurzweil K2600. The keyboard itself is heavy enough, with the case it weighs more than I do.

But I wouldn't trust anything else to protect something that costs that much (over $5,500 :eek: more than my entire rig put together INCLUDING my Warwick!)

• Members

I just have a 4U Gator for my M-Pulse, Furman and X-Wire, but if I was on the road I'd have a 10 or 12U rolling shock rack for sure.

I always put my rack in the cab of the truck/SUV- never in the bed.

For the 400+, scope out some of the Mesa shocks that pop up on eBay pretty frequently. Would be a nice match. :)

• Members

Thanks for all the responses.

Anyone recommend a specific kind of shock case? Of course there are the Mesa/Gator king, with the suspended middles. But I'm seeing some like these and the prices seem to be pretty decent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OSP-ATA-SHOCK-MOUNT-6-SPACE-EFFECTS-RACK-ROAD-CASE_W0QQitemZ150176891534QQihZ005QQcategoryZ23789QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Thanks for all the responses.

Anyone recommend a specific kind of shock case? Of course there are the Mesa/Gator king, with the suspended middles. But I'm seeing some like these and the prices seem to be pretty decent:

That case is only 14" deep...so make sure that 400+ is less than that. I think they are only 12" deep...but I'm not positive. My Aggie is 18" deep...

I prefer the Mesa shock mount cases to anything, but they are so damn expensive. I currently have a Gator 4 space, but I only bought it because it was the only shock mount rack that I could find that was deep enough.

I might be willing to sell it if you're interested. PM me if you want...

• Members

That case is only 14" deep...so make sure that 400+ is less than that. I think they are only 12" deep...but I'm not positive. My Aggie is 18" deep...

I prefer the Mesa shock mount cases to anything, but they are so damn expensive. I currently have a Gator 4 space, but I only bought it because it was the only shock mount rack that I could find that was deep enough.

I might be willing to sell it if you're interested. PM me if you want...

I'm trying to find how deep the Mesa is, but so far nothing... Though I just started checking.

And I'm looking for a 6-space so I can put my power conditioner in it. or a 5-space if they make shock mounted fives. But I'll keep you in mind!

• Members

I'm trying to find how deep the Mesa is, but so far nothing... Though I just started checking.

And I'm looking for a 6-space so I can put my power conditioner in it. or a 5-space if they make shock mounted fives. But I'll keep you in mind!

Annnnnnd from what I'm reading it's a foot deep. So we're golden so far.

• Members

I think Mesa, Calzone, and Anvil...as wella s a few others will make anything you want, but you'll be paying for it. A Mesa 6 space shock mount is a custom job for them...they usually make 4 or 8's...and they run $529 and $599...new of course.

If I were you, I go with the 6 space and keep one open space above the amp for cooling. Tubes get HOT! Especially when they can't breathe. Having the shock mount will give airflow around the amp...but only if it doesn't have that stupid foam around it.

• Members

My 8-space Mesa rack:

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

It's a good one. I think I paid close to $500 for it slightly used. You kinda get what you pay for when it comes to protecting your gear.

Also, for another company rec, I played with a guitarist at one point that got a case for his Triple Rectifier from Rock Hard Cases. They make a nice product. Protected his amp through that wreck, now that I think about it.

Archived