Kindness to the dust covered courtesy phone

slapthefunkyfour

• Moderators

You want to use the size of the gauge string you will be using or slightly oversized. One of the first nuts I cut I used a 0.090 for A string and then strung it up with a 0.080 string. Buzz city. One way of ways to deal with this is to be very careful when using slightly oversized files not to widen the slots any further than the minimum and then to use the next lowest size file to do the very bottom of the slot. You create a tapered effect that will hold the string snugly in place. However, this makes it slightly trickier to get the string height positioned exactly where you'd like it (I typically shoot for 0.010" above the 1st fret). Another technique is to use a slightly undersized file and rock it side to side as you file to slightly enlarge the slot. All of this is fairly imprecise. Nut making is an art, as a result it can be a pain in the ass. There are lots of easy ways to get a nut that "works." It is special when you get the perfect nut.

• Members

You want to use the size of the gauge string you will be using or slightly oversized. One of the first nuts I cut I used a 0.090 for A string and then strung it up with a 0.080 string. Buzz city. One way of ways to deal with this is to be very careful when using slightly oversized files not to widen the slots any further than the minimum and then to use the next lowest size file to do the very bottom of the slot. You create a tapered effect that will hold the string snugly in place. However, this makes it slightly trickier to get the string height positioned exactly where you'd like it (I typically shoot for 0.010" above the 1st fret). Another technique is to use a slightly undersized file and rock it side to side as you file to slightly enlarge the slot. All of this is fairly imprecise. Nut making is an art, as a result it can be a pain in the ass. There are lots of easy ways to get a nut that "works." It is special when you get the perfect nut.

Wow, thanks. I guess I'm gonna have to save for a while to get me a whole set of files. I thought I could get away with just buying 4. Now it seems that I will need at least 8 different ones. Well, maybe not, stewmac has the double sided ones.

I'll get a few cheap plastic nuts to practice on first.

• Moderators

Wow, thanks. I guess I'm gonna have to save for a while to get me a whole set of files. I thought I could get away with just buying 4. Now it seems that I will need at least 8 different ones. Well, maybe not, stewmac has the double sided ones.

I'll get a few cheap plastic nuts to practice on first.

I use the double sided Stew Mac ones and also have a few singles from these. files They used to sell a 0.130 that was really useful for low B strings.

Archived