OT XP does a U turn

mrcrow

• Members

I am virtually computer illiterate. Someone care to explain?

microsoft is downgrading the cumbersome XP system so it will run on low cost laptops..probably with slow processors and ram

to try to take the market away from linux which i believe is the os for mac's

macs os...seems to be a lot faster more stable and less finikity that ms XP and vista

and is not prone to virus attack..even if at all

correct me if i am wrong on all this but that is how i understand it.

:cool:

• Members

microsoft is downgrading the cumbersome XP system so it will run on low cost laptops..probably with slow processors and ram

macs os...seems to be a lot faster more stable and less finikity that ms XP and vista

Close...but not quite.

They're trying to downgrade XP for slower computers so that Linux doesn't get the bill. Though, most linux OSes are opensource (free), so that would be another issue for Microsoft. Mac OSX is unix based, but I can almost guarantee they won't use that, as it has some fairly hefty requirements itself. Basically, Windows will have to provide a free OS that can run on around 64 MB of RAM and 100 mhz processor speed to beat most Linux-based operating systems to the punch. I don't see it happening unless they run Windows 3.1..........(and this reminds me of why I switched to Ubuntu [Linux derivative]...)

• Members

more stable then Vista probably , but XP is rock solid , I wouldn't say that about 10.3.9 :p

• Members

I am virtually computer illiterate. Someone care to explain?

This article refers to the One Laptop per Child Initiative, which you can read more about here.

It more specifically deals with the operating system to be used on said laptop, a distribution of the Linux operating system known as "Sugar."

Why is the OS used important? Sugar, and the software that comes with it, is completely free. It's also the first computer operating system that the children targeted by this laptop will see and use. As a result, they'll theoretically be more familiar with Linux than they ever will be with Windows. Microsoft feels threatened by this because they'll miss the opportunity to establish a foothold among millions of new users.

In short, it's a war of philosophies, with the advocates of Linux and open-source software on one side and Microsoft on the other, with an enormous potential market consisting of impressionable children hanging in the balance.

EDIT: JESUS CHRIST THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT APPLE AND THE MAC OS VERSUS WINDOWS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE MERITS SHUT UP

• Members

Nah. The current Mac OS is based on another Unix-like operating system known as FreeBSD, but doesn't have a great deal to do with Linux or this project. Apple won't see a market share boost from this at all.

It's very much about getting millions of people to adopt Linux, period, or Windows all at once.

• Members

I work on LinuxBIOS used in the OLPC. The HW in it consists of a 433MHz AMD Geode LX with 256MB RAM and 1GB FLASH. As it is now, the user will have no idea that the machine runs Linux. I wouldn't be able to tell if I didn't know. The GUI is a all new design created specifically for the OLPC and the targeted audience is children who have never had access to a PC who are completely unfamiliar with their use. MS has always had a modularized embedded version of XP that would run on this platform. The thing that pisses people off is that MS didn't contribute to the platform development and are now trying to weasel their way into having their product distributed with it. Intel is also building a similar low-cost LT platform with the similar goals as the OLPC platform.

• Members

I've gotta get Vista back off this machine and put XP on it. It's driving me nuts. Vista is such a resource hog. HOG!

And guys before it gets out of hand: Let's have one OS thread that doesn't get into the stupid, {censored}ing, idiot, asshole, {censored}head Mac vs PC debate.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Archived