Sansamp VS. onboard preamp

Bluescout

• Members

The Sans Amp will give you an SVT-in-a-box type sound. I would suggest going to the store and trying one out. It might do exactly what you want, but then again it might not. Only your ears can tell you.

I will say that no Sans Amp will turn any of my passive basses into something that sound like my active basses. There is simply no comparison.

• Members

sansamp is tube emulator with eq thrown in..2 band

i use one with my SR5 with 3 band onboard

i use the sansamp to warm up the tone

set at mid settings

and use the ray eq to get the necessary adjustments..

saves having to walk over to my combo for each song

• Members

I have a related question. When I played the guitar, I had a Sans Amp GT2. I used it in front of a tube amp, and I hated the sound. The GT2 puts on mic'd cab sound in front of my amp, so the overall sound was overly compressed, and would feedback a lot. After I sold it, I realized the pedal worked better when used as a DI rather than in front of an amp.

Now, my question is if I were to get a Sans amp pedal for bass, would I be able to use it in front of my little mark without sounding digital and fake? Or is it more of a in-front-of-a-PA type of pedal?

• Members

I have a related question. When I played the guitar, I had a Sans Amp GT2. I used it in front of a tube amp, and I hated the sound. The GT2 puts on mic'd cab sound in front of my amp, so the overall sound was overly compressed, and would feedback a lot. After I sold it, I realized the pedal worked better when used as a DI rather than in front of an amp.

Now, my question is if I were to get a Sans amp pedal for bass, would I be able to use it in front of my little mark without sounding digital and fake? Or is it more of a in-front-of-a-PA type of pedal?

I have both the GT2 and the BDDI.

The GT2 was a tube sim for running in front of solid state amps or into your home computer for 1/2 decent home recording. I imagine sticking it in front of a marshall would be overkill. The gain on those things is incredible!:eek:

A lot of the criticism levelled at the BDDI, I feel, is from not really getting to know the device. I hated mine when I got it and didnt use it for months, then got some help from people here about setting it up and the like, now I wouldnt play upright or bass geetar without it.

Obviously all pedals arent for everyone, but even if you end up hating its eq facilities, you still end up with a 1/2 decent DI for live use.

You can also run a parralel dry out to your amp and a wet signal to the board, but Im figgering the Markbass has a decent post eq DI anyway.

• Members

i've got a BDDI that i'm not currently using, if you want to try one out.

Thanks for the offer. I have a friend trying to get one I can borrow but if it doesn't work out, maybe I'll take you up on that and get meet another HCBF member!!

As always, Go Pats and Tom Brady > everyone else :thu:

Archived