how does one become an endorsee?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

From talking to other sponsored artists, most companies want someone who plays at a minimum of 100 shows a year and have a decent local following. They really couldn't care less if you suck, they mostly just want their brand name to show.

They told me to take any endorsement deal I can get. Even if I don't get any discount at all, it will look good on a resume for a future endorsement deal. Start small with a local guitar shop, then a small string company, (go to the knucklehead site mentioned above. They are looking for artists), and work your way up.

• Members
you just gave the best idea EVER!!!

*calls music store*

now we play the waiting game
:D

I've been playing that game with my local shop for a few months. They must be getting really nervous by now, so I'm expecting a bit payoff soon. I'll just give it a few more months to let them sweat :evil:

• Members
:confused:

i know getting into a band would help but what else would i need to do.

im not looking for anything huge maybe some free strings or something.

I picked Hasbeen's brain quite a bit on this topic (thanks again, btw. If you're ever in the SW MI area, I owe you a Bell's beer). I apologize if I bastardize anything he mentioned to me previously.

You need a solid internet presence, preferably a myspace page. The reason for it is that you list the gigs, some sound clips, gear and number of friends (it's marketing, remember?). Important are pics; some cheesy "me and my bass stuff" type head shot deals, some live shots of you, shots of you at NAMM (or anything else involving well-known folks), etc... Having it look professional really shouldn't have to be mentioned, but make it look professional. Have a nice write up about you, where you've played, whom you've played with and where you're playing next.

Funny thing about the above, is that I was in talks with Seymour-Duncan about getting an artist endorsement. I ended up not getting it; they cited that my internet presence was not as solid as they're looking for.

Remember it really comes down to marketing; what can you offer the company? While I didn't think just being a theatre guy really had much widespread appeal for endorsements, it was better than I thought; while you don't have the mass crowd marketing, you do market more to musicians, sound guys, techs, etc.. that would know more about gear than just "Oh it's Ampeg so it's gotta be killer! WOooooooOOO!!!"

And lastly, know something about 1. the company you are approaching and 2. the products you are interested in.

Archived