SansAmp question

rummy

• Members

I know they're great for plugging directly into the mixing board or the PA, but does anybody use a Bass Driver in front of their amp like pedal? I've used the GT2 in front of a tube amp for the guitar, and it sounded AWFUL because of the cab simulation/emulation thing. I realize these Sansamp pedals are great DI pedals, but how would they sound in front of an amp? Does anybody use the pedal like this? Or, would it be wiser to plug something like this into the FX loop?

• Members

I see. So, how well does a preamp work in front of a bass head? Wouldn't the overall sound be too compressed, 'cause of the preamp and the preamp inside my amp...

It seems like I can't bypass the EQ by using the FX loop on my LMII.

• Members

I know a lot of guys that use a SA out front. They use it as an overdrive. It can sound good if you sit and tweak it. The GT-2 you mention sounds great as a bass distortion, but it does suck out lows...so I use a looper pedal to put them back in.

My favorite pedal to use to just dirty up my sound on the LMII is an EBS Valve Drive. It's the sole reason why I bought it actually. It adds a little tube girth to the LMII sound, and kinda makes it sound like a tube amp. Very nice!

• Members

i used to use a Yorkville 400BH head, and i'd have the SA in line before the amp. took that SS sheen off the tone, and gave it a warm Ampegy roundness. i never used it as an OD, tho.

with an active bass and a GBE600, i have no need for the tone shaping anymore.

• Members

I used to have the pedal and used it in front of the amp. Sounded just fine, if only a tad bit noisier, but nothing that'd hamper a performance.

But the RBI is the way to go! Run it through the effects loop and mmmm.

I have a Sansamp RBI in the loop of my Trace Elliot GP 12 SMX preamp. I have it set up to add a little presence and grit when engaged, and really like the sound.

• Members

I know they're great for plugging directly into the mixing board or the PA, but does anybody use a Bass Driver in front of their amp like pedal? I realize these Sansamp pedals are great DI pedals, but how would they sound in front of an amp? Does anybody use the pedal like this?

I actually think it works better as an overdrive pedal than it does as a DI. YMMV. I use it (occasionally) before the amp as an overdrive, like guitargod0dmw has mentioned and that's actually the only way I use it now. I bought it initiallly to DI my bass into a mixer for recording purposes but was disappointed in the results. Muddy, and indistinct. If I was to need a good separate DI, I'd use my Radial Pro D2 as it's really clean sounding. Right now I just use the DI out from my Genz Benz head.

• Moderators

I would love to hear it. Do you have any clips?

Yo.

You know, I don't. I keep meaning to put together a simple recording setup. I want to lay some bass over some of the fretless drum beats and also be able to post other random clips. I keep getting torn between doing something simple and setting up a recording desk for my bands. I'm a pretty decent engineer when I put my mind into it...

I need to stop {censored}ing around and get a simple 8-channel interface. Okay, that does it. I'm on it.

• Members

You know, I don't. I keep meaning to put together a simple recording setup. I want to lay some bass over some of the fretless drum beats and also be able to post other random clips. I keep getting torn between doing something simple and setting up a recording desk for my bands. I'm a pretty decent engineer when I put my mind into it...

I need to stop {censored}ing around and get a simple 8-channel interface. Okay, that does it. I'm on it.

Awesome. Or I need to stop {censored}ing around and come to C-town for the weekend...

:D

Yo.

Archived