desktop pics...

allan grossman

• Members

I like it. It just works if you want it to or you can dig into it as deep as you want. Ubuntu's not as bleeding edge as Debian unstable but is a little newer than the stable branch.

I had to wait for 7.10 before I could connect to my Vista box. Debian unstable has had the right version of samba for months, but I didn't wanna go outside Ubuntu repositories just to fix it.

I kinda like it - and if you're into audio then Ubuntu Studio is killer.

• Members

Vista has a similar compositing window manager, so I imagine that 3d effects such as that aren't impossible (I seem to remember a third party app that gave you this functionality on Vista, actually.) Can't comment on OS X.

Compiz/Beryl is fun, but it overshadows how nice Gnome can be. I much prefer default Gnome to Vista or OS X.

• Members

Vista has a similar compositing window manager, so I imagine that 3d effects such as that aren't impossible (I seem to remember a third party app that gave you this functionality on Vista, actually.) Can't comment on OS X.

Compiz/Beryl is fun, but it overshadows how nice Gnome can be. I much prefer default Gnome to Vista or OS X.

Yeah, there's an application called DeskSpace that'll give you a 3d cube in XP or Vista but the cube only rotates in one plane. One advantage it has over Compiz is you can use different wallpaper for each face of the cube.

Gnome is nice - it's my favorite window manager. Second for me is xfce, which is fast but a little short on features. Compiz is kinda fun as long as you don't overdo it :)

Anything but the bloatware that is KDE.

• Members

Yeah... I'm looking at an audio/video production workstation. It's either Ubuntu, or a Mac Pro.

I've always liked the price of Linux over Mac.
:D

i have ubuntu on a dual boot system with XP. i have an echo mia sound card, and i had to compile the drivers into the kernel to get it to work. and now it doesn't work again. call me lazy (probably true) or not smart enough (definitely true), but i really like having drivers made and installed for me.

that said, when i get around to it, i will be trying 64studio -- it has native support for my sound card. still, i have enough years with sonar that i do all my recording in XP. ubuntu is a very comfortable environment for those ingrained in windows, though.

robb.

Archived