My 2nd Genz-Benz Experience

Gruntollio Bass

• Members

I would say that it was a slight improvement on my last experience, but they're just not for me sorry to say fellas.

To fill you in on what happened, I was suppossed to be going through the same rig as I went through last time which was a GBE750 going through a LS 410T.

Well I arrived at sound-check yesterday afternoon and to my surprise I could see a bigger bass stack than last time on stage. On closer inspection it wasn't quite what I expected.

It was a NEOPAK 3.5 on a 410XB.....................and a 212G flex??????

I thought WTF is this FrankenBenz rig???

Somehow I don't think the engineers knew the difference between a guitar cab and a bass cab. All sorted, just disconnected the 212.

Apparently the previous rig I used had been stolen at another show???

The Neopak was a very easy to use amp and dialing up a tone wasn't too hard. the 410XB sounded much better than the LS410 I went through last time..................but the combination again seemed lacking in oomph!!

I set EQ flat to start with and made some very conservative tweaks to get a good tone, but getting it to push some air just didn't happen. It was very light on and boosting volume just caused it to clip.

We were first band on and I stuck around to see how it went for the other bands and they all had the same issues. The guy that came on after me had an almost constant clip light running.........and some strange noises going on!

Something tells me the previous head (GBE750) with last nights 410 would have been a better match, but after a couple of uses of GB stuff I'm not sold on it. It's just doesn't do it for my ears as much as my stuff does. I can however see how some people might like these amps. There are certainly parts of the tone I liked, but it just didn't seem to carry the full tonal spectrum that my current rig seems to do for me.

Here's a shot of last nights rig for those of you who like being dazzled by those perdy blue lights. :p

FrankenGenz.jpg

• Members

Dude, seriously? With your rig of destruction, the NeoPak isn't going to be your thing, its a low-wattage head.

Add my head to that cab and you have my rig. You'd like it much better. Trust me on this. I'll make you a promise, if I tour to Sydney, you can come play on my amp and I'll set you up good n proper :thu: while I think about it too, theres a Bergantino distributor in Sydney who I want to buy an NV610 off, maybe if I come down I'll see you :p

You're also used to Eden, and I wouldn't be the first to say Eden has its "signature tone" colouring, whereas Genz doesn't have as much, if any at all. It takes a lil getting used to but you get there.

And man those techies are retarded if they put that 212 underneath....the porting of the 4x10 should really have been on the ground, it doesn't add much low end but you notice the difference if its raised off the ground

• Members

Good grief!

Of course the G-Flex is a guitar cabinet...:eek:

The standard 410-XB is an 8 ohm cabinet (4 ohm is a spoecial order option) so the NeoPak was only delivering 225 watts at it's clip/limit point. Maybe it was just an inappropriate tool for the job?

Too bad you didn't have a chance to play the GBE-750 w/ the 410XB cabinets, a little more appropriate IMO.

• Members

wow...hold the horses. PLEASE don't rate our gear on that experience.

First off, amps are "application specific". Meaning- a NeoPak isn't designed for that type of setting. Secondy, you're running through 1/2 a guitar rig there.

I'm shocked that's what they put your through.

• Members

"I dunno........sounds like Gruntillo bass just doesn't wanna believe GB is good stuff. He keeps finding excuses to knock us."

Then there is me on the other end of the spectrum. I'm very close to buying a GBE 750 without ever playing through one. I have (2) Walter Woods amps and have used nothing else since about 1982. They are fabulous amps and I don't even need another head. Lurking (mostly) here and the Live Sound forum has given me the greatest respect for "Agedhorse" & "Hasbeen". It's obvious they know what they're doing and care about their products & Company. I only own 1 Genz Benz product. It is a Road case for mixer and rack equipment and is very well made.

I don't, normally, buy any musical equipment without trying it first. This purchase will be made on reputation, reviews, and a gut feeling!

• Members

"I dunno........sounds like Gruntillo bass just doesn't wanna believe GB is good stuff. He keeps finding excuses to knock us."

Then there is me on the other end of the spectrum. I'm very close to buying a GBE 750 without ever playing through one. I have (2) Walter Woods amps and have used nothing else since about 1982. They are fabulous amps and I don't even need another head. Lurking (mostly) here and the Live Sound forum has given me the greatest respect for "Agedhorse" & "Hasbeen". It's obvious they know what they're doing and care about their products & Company. I only own 1 Genz Benz product. It is a Road case for mixer and rack equipment and is very well made.

I don't, normally, buy any musical equipment without trying it first. This purchase will be made on reputation, reviews, and a gut feeling!

I just bought the GBE1200 without ever hearing or seeing one in person. Screw it...it's got tons of knobs..I should be able to find some good tones:D. Now it's just the decision on what cab(s) to go with

• Members

I already told you in your other thread...NeoX 212.

You can thank me later.

How's the sound Jeff. Having never heard one in person I have no idea. I have been offered one for a very good price from one of the Chicago forumites but it might also be too big. I need something that can fit in a trunk or a backseat of a car.

Dan

• Members

How's the sound Jeff. Having never heard one in person I have no idea. I have been offered one for a very good price from one of the Chicago forumites but it might also be too big. I need something that can fit in a trunk or a backseat of a car.

Dan

I'm not good at describing sounds.

:(

There's a ton of owners of this cab that I'm sure would be able to describe it for you.

As mentioned in the other thread, I can easily carry this thing in one hand though it has two wheels on it for tilt-back use. I'm a small guy as you well know. You can get the dimensions from the GB website to determine if it's right for you.

• Members

I just bought the GBE1200 without ever hearing or seeing one in person. Screw it...it's got tons of knobs..I should be able to find some good tones:D. Now it's just the decision on what cab(s) to go with

Yes, and you got the deal of the century! I heard the price was a mistake:eek::thu:. Good for you!

Tons of knobs? Sometimes, IMHO, that equates to more trouble than it's worth. I am more of a set and forget guy when it comes to amp settings. Alot of times, my settings are very close to flat. At least, with the Walter Woods amps it is.

Mike

• Members

Yes, and you got the deal of the century! I heard the price was a mistake:eek:
:thu:
. Good for you!

Tons of knobs? Sometimes, IMHO, that equates to more trouble than it's worth. I am more of a set and forget guy when it comes to amp settings. Alot of times, my settings are very close to flat. At least, with the Walter Woods amps it is.

Mike

You heard the price was a mistake..really? Do tell do tell...PM me if you want.

Yeah I'm a very minor tweaker of knobs. I like to do just what I have to and no more. OF course with the WW's I wouldn't imagine you would need to do a whole lot...at least I hope not for how much $$ they are:D

Dan

• Members

+1 but did it with the GBE750, and boy I'm happy I did!!!

Gruntillo, it's OK not to like something. Now, please, get a life:)

• Members

I dunno........sounds like Gruntillo bass just doesn't wanna believe GB is good stuff. He keeps finding excuses to knock us.

Bassgeek,

Take it easy big fella!

All I've said was that GB is not for me. I'm glad you GB rig "does it" for you mate, but for me after two experiences with GB stuff I feel my Eden stuff works better for my ears. It delivers the tone I like and then some. Of Course going through my whole rig is an unfair comparrison to the GB rigs I've played, but I have played just one cab in rehearsals and I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. My tone is still brilliant and I'm not lacking in power.

If I'm going to knock anyone it would be the retarded organisers of this concert who brought this gear along, but don't seem to have any understanding of it themselves.

I asked the organisers on the night what the Neopak was rated at and no-one could tell me. Fortunately the sponsors of the event had left some of their catalogues at the door and I found a little bit of information about this rig prior to plugging in.

I turned up expecting to go through a 750, but they told me it got nicked at a previous show. So unfortunately much of the feedback that I had been given went out the window and I had to come up with a new gameplan with a different rig.

I disconnected the guitar 212 cab before I started as that would have farted like an elephant with a bad case of bum gravy! :eek:

So it was just the Neopak and the 410XB. I didn't mike up the cab and just went from DI to the desk.

• Members

Dude, seriously? With your rig of destruction, the NeoPak isn't going to be your thing, its a low-wattage head.

Add my head to that cab and you have my rig. You'd like it much better. Trust me on this. I'll make you a promise, if I tour to Sydney, you can come play on my amp and I'll set you up good n proper
:thu:
while I think about it too, theres a Bergantino distributor in Sydney who I want to buy an NV610 off, maybe if I come down I'll see you
:p

You're also used to Eden, and I wouldn't be the first to say Eden has its "signature tone" colouring, whereas Genz doesn't have as much, if any at all. It takes a lil getting used to but you get there.

And man those techies are retarded if they put that 212 underneath....the porting of the 4x10 should really have been on the ground, it doesn't add much low end but you notice the difference if its raised off the ground

BA,

I reckon the 750 and the 410XB would've been a great match too. Just a pitty the organisers couldn't get a clue about what would be an appropriate set-up between head and cab. :rolleyes:

Yeah, maybe I should have dropped the 410 on the floor with the cab up the right way but had limited time. I just made sure I got the 212 disconnected before a blew it from here to timbuktu!:freak:

I tell ya what mate.........You come to Sydney and you can go through my "Tower of Tremor", but when I come up to Brissy I'll have a crack at your rig. Sound fair?

With Eden stuff, the "colouring" that most people refer to is if you use the "enhance" function but I generally run with only a very small pinch of it, hardly any. Many Eden users just turn it right off and run with EQ flat. In reality it's not too different to the tone shaping buttons I found on the Neopak. These buttons seem to colour the tone quite a bit, but from memory I only had the first button inverted. The tone I got was OK, but not mind blowing.

• Members

wow...hold the horses. PLEASE don't rate our gear on that experience.

First off, amps are "application specific". Meaning- a NeoPak isn't designed for that type of setting. Secondy, you're running through 1/2 a guitar rig there.

I'm shocked that's what they put your through.

Hasbeen,

As mentioned, I unplugged the 212 before I got started mate. Unlike the organisers, I still have some clue about how to set up a bass rig.

For the size of the room, the Neopak was inadequate. It got burried by the drums and the engineer did me no favours in the foldback.

Thanks for your advice the other day mate, but I didn't find out until I arrived that they were changing the rig. The Neo was easy enough to figure out though and I reckon it would suit people for a good little practise amp or for quieter settings like blues / jazz..........but not for loud angry rockers.

I would suggest though mate, that if you have any pull with events such as this, you might want to ensure the organisers are making the best application of your gear such as having the best combination of amps and cabs and that they understand how to use them. They certainly didn't inspire any of the Bassplayers on the night to rush out and buy GB stuff..................which I'm sure is the intent of sponsoring such an event.

• Members

Whats the diff between the xlt and xs cabs? I always loved their cabs..hated the heads but the cabs are excellent.

Dan

The XLT cabs have much more throw to them and some nice agressive bark and bite. Plenty of punch and extended lows in them with their porting design.

The XST is like the "Sub-woofer" of bass cabs. It has the lows you'd expect from a 118 cab, but is very tight and accurate...........kinda like a studio monitor but......very freakin deep and loud!

The jury is still out on which cab I like more. I think 2 XLT cabs would be louder than 2 XST's, but the XST's have such a great deep tone about them.

To me 1 of each is freakin brilliant. :thu:

Their amps are not for everyone..............but I can't say I've played through a better head than the WT800 for the tone I like and the power it delivers. I just set my EQ flat, plug in, turn it up and play! :)

• Members

With Eden stuff, the "colouring" that most people refer to is if you use the "enhance" function but I generally run with only a very small pinch of it, hardly any. Many Eden users just turn it right off and run with EQ flat. In reality it's not too different to the tone shaping buttons I found on the Neopak. These buttons seem to colour the tone quite a bit, but from memory I only had the first button inverted. The tone I got was OK, but not mind blowing.

Yeah I dunno, I've found personally that their cabs have a particular "sound", I really can't describe it any other way, other than if you A/B'd your XLT against my XB-2 with my 1200, you'd hear a significant difference. That said, I actually like how Eden cabs sound, and I may own some someday, but we'll see. You have a pretty sweet rig though man, so its hard to compete sometimes when you have something like that that you know and love....

Archived