a little ripper doom clippage

Guttermouth

• Members

i know, the thread title is ripe for parody.....

anyway - used my ripper on a full recording for the first time. the intro is ripper>doom fuzz>kustom k150>avatar 212> peavey 520i

the rest is ripper> modded bad monkey> diy tube pre.

as usual i played all the instruments and actually built the guitar amp i'm using for the whole thing. feel free to check it out:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5934178&q=hi

oh , and btw, the mix is probably crap as i've been sitting in a closed room with a fully cranked 50 watt amp.i'll go back and tweak on the mix in a couple of days when my ears recover :thu:

• Members

hate to be a bitch but I feel it sucks all your tone out of the bass and leaves your bass as just ambient noise until about 1.30 then it gets VERY interesting/sexy
:thu:

hahaha

that's actually what i was shooting for. there was about 2 minutes of weirdo sounds/noises i made with the fuzz and vibrato/trem/reverb in the amp before the song that i decided to cut out :)

• Members

DUDE!!! YOU ARE SO {censored}ING BADASS!!!

you sound like a a mix between Black Sabbath (with Ozzy) and High on Fire!!!

{censored}ing hell! the music is really really doomy and heavy and exciting! i wish you luck with your music!

that first fuzz sounds really badass!!! where can i check me out one of those?

• Members

DUDE!!! YOU ARE SO {censored}ING BADASS!!!

you sound like a a mix between Black Sabbath (with Ozzy) and High on Fire!!!

{censored}ing hell! the music is really really doomy and heavy and exciting! i wish you luck with your music!

that first fuzz sounds really badass!!! where can i check me out one of those?

wow, thanks alot man:wave:

that fuzz is something i built.if you're technologically inclined i can send you the schematic - if not i could build you one :thu:

it's pretty limited though. it just does that one dimed out muff thing ( no gain or tone controls- just volume and a tweeter kill switch)

• Members

I like that. Didn't you post a clip of a more clean recording of the Ripper though? You got me interested in how they sound and it's kinda hard to really hear I feel.

thanks dood.

here's that clip of just the ripper that i posted when i got it :

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5911030&q=hi

i ran it into 2 signal paths. the right side is a kustom k150 miced up and the left is direct ( through the dual showman pre i built).

i also run through all the tone switch settings as well.

in the song i started this thread for, even the "clean" parts are running through a dimed modded bad monkey so it's fairly distorted and is not really a good gauge of how the bass sounds. but the clean clip above gives a pretty good indication, i think.

• Members

thanks dood.

here's that clip of just the ripper that i posted when i got it :

i ran it into 2 signal paths. the right side is a kustom k150 miced up and the left is direct ( through the dual showman pre i built).

i also run through all the tone switch settings as well.

in the song i started this thread for, even the "clean" parts are running through a dimed modded bad monkey so it's fairly distorted and is not really a good gauge of how the bass sounds. but the clean clip above gives a pretty good indication, i think.

Hmm... I like it... but I'm not sure it's really what I want for myself... but then... I'm beginning to think that the sound I want to hear when I play is more dependant on amp than bass. Not saying that the bass makes no difference... But what I really need for the sound I want is a gritty tupe amp. Or SS if it sounds similar (can you say Kustom?)... A nice bass comes second. I do foresee gibby's entering my collection of basses though. And when I say collection then I'm rather exagerating. I have two. One of which I actually use. Unless you also count the upright.

Do I make sense?

• Members

Hmm... I like it... but I'm not sure it's really what I want for myself... but then... I'm beginning to think that the sound I want to hear when I play is more dependant on amp than bass. Not saying that the bass makes no difference... But what I really need for the sound I want is a gritty tupe amp. Or SS if it sounds similar (can you say Kustom?)... A nice bass comes second. I do foresee gibby's entering my collection of basses though. And when I say collection then I'm rather exagerating. I have two. One of which I actually use. Unless you also count the upright.

Do I make sense?

oh yeah, completely. i can say that the ripper is WAAAY more versatile than the eb-0 and the general vibe i get from it is definitely precision-ish.

i'll record you a clip tommorrow with the kustom cranked up and maybe that will give you a better idea.

i'm in complete agreement with you about the bass being secondary. as long as the bass is decent i don't have a problem getting cool tones if the amp is right.i've also discovered recently that if the amp is flat enough i can dig it if i've got the modded bad monkey in front of it with the gain dimed. so you might also try to find a pedal that you dig to use if the amp isn't tubey enough.

Archived