String Gauge?

BluesJunkie

• Members

I have a new-to-me bass that needs a complete setup job, and I'm wondering what string gauge to get. Since I'm a guitarist, I'm thinking lighter strings might be easier for me to get used to. Maybe 45-65-80-100? Is that a standard light set?

What gauges do y'all use, and what would you suggest?

• Members

That's what I use , mostly Pro steels . It says " Regular Light Gauge" string gauge is a good way to tweak your tone , you can get more or less bass , mids highs etc. I actually don't like to much bass so 100 ga does it for me , the thing I really look for is string to string tension and eq , Usually for me anything less than a 45 ga gets to thin and feels to light to me . It's a personal thing so don't be afraid to try different sets of different materials and wrappings . For a fretted 4 string bass set I would suggest D'Addario Pro Steels in that ga. for starters . ;)

• Members

I have a new-to-me bass that needs a complete setup job, and I'm wondering what string gauge to get. Since I'm a guitarist, I'm thinking lighter strings might be easier for me to get used to. Maybe 45-65-80-100? Is that a standard light set?

What gauges do y'all use, and what would you suggest?

45-100 is a good place to start, it's kind of in the middle, then you can decide whether you want to go lighter or heavier. A lot of people prefer 45-105.

I use 45-100, but I have, on occasion, used 40-95. D'addario make good, cheap strings that come in a large variety of gauges. I would suggest going for nickel plated rounds first, and then you can go for steels if you like a brighter down, or flats if you like a warmer, mellower tone.

• Members

45-100 is a good place to start, it's kind of in the middle, then you can decide whether you want to go lighter or heavier. A lot of people prefer 45-105.

I use 45-100, but I have, on occasion, used 40-95. D'addario make good, cheap strings that come in a large variety of gauges. I would suggest going for nickel plated rounds first, and then you can go for steels if you like a brighter down, or flats if you like a warmer, mellower tone.

This is the best tip you can get, really.

Archived