Best Strings for Slapping?

UK_Lefty

• Members

What strings would be best for a bit of Tower of Power style funk? I love nickel rounds for finger style but slap is a different story.

Will nickel rounds be too soft and snap easier?

Will stainless rounds be bright and zingy but potentially dull more quickly and wear the frets?

What about halfs (round on the finger side, flat on the frets) for slap?

Any particular brand you'd recommend?

• Members

Steels give a little more "zing," but can also be harder on your fingers. Nickels tend to sound a bit warmer. Flats aren't that great for most slap tones, unless you want to slap an upright Rockabilly style.

It should also be pointed out that Rocco Prestia of ToP wasn't a slapper. He is the master of 16th note finger funk, but to my knowledge (and record collection) he hasn't slapped. Check out the Brothers Johnson, some nice funky slap going on there!

• Members

DR hi beams.

Although, I think the Slinkies are great for slapping, too.

I agree with the first half.

DR Hi-Beams are THE best slapping strings, bar none. End of discussion. Why?

A) They are super bright

B) They last forever

C) They don't break

D) Are easily cleaned with rubbing alcohol

Slinky's sound cool for about a week then go dead, a set of DR's lasts much longer.

• Members

What strings would be best for a bit of Tower of Power style funk? I love nickel rounds for finger style but slap is a different story.

Will nickel rounds be too soft and snap easier?

Will stainless rounds be bright and zingy but potentially dull more quickly and wear the frets?

What about halfs (round on the finger side, flat on the frets) for slap?

Any particular brand you'd recommend?

I like nickel rounds for everything.

Everything.

I have steels at the mo. Really cool, but not any better, in my eyes. I only got steels because I wanted some more longevity. I got Dean Markley Blue Steels, and they're fine. They sounded HORRID at first, jesus, it was awful. Clacky, too much top, etc.

If you're wanting all-out showy sound, I say get some steel rounds, different brands depending on your budget, and(some would say) texture preference.

I haven't found anything that a nickel roundwound can't do, though. :)

EDIT:

To let you know, I play ridiculously hard. I've never broken a string. Not in two years of being heavy-handed. I had my first set of factory nickelwounds on an Ibanez GIO, and I treated that thing like dirt, touch-wise. Those strings were on that bass for about a year. :p

Archived