ampeg epifani combination

bearpaw

• Members

hey,

i am going for a epifani 3x10 cabinet and just wanted to know if you think that i could have any problems using it with a ampeg svt classic top. they're both 4 ohm but i just thought the ampeg tube top might be too strong...

thanx

• Members

The Epifani can handle more than the Ampeg can dish out. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

Not too sure what that is going to sound like. A nice clean hi-fi cab, with a dirty tube amp? Weird...

My ideal. You get to REALLY hear every detail of the head's inherent character. :thu:

I had a home practice rig of a Challenger head(from the 1950's) and my SWR Goliath Jr III cab. Sweetness!!

• Members

I think you will enjoy the mix even if a non-ported cab should sound better. I have an UL310 with a GBE750 head and it sounds great with the tube channel turned on. And the weight (or lack of) of the cab is pretty amazing. Feels like 10 pounds!!!

Have fun!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

hey guys,

just wanted to let you know about my odysee of gear testing - the combination of ampeg svt classic with the epifani ul310 turned out to be the ultimate choice for me.

i have had an ampeg rig for years now, but my ampeg 6x10 is just so {censored}ing heavy that i decided to go for epifani. but when i attached it to the ampeg head i figured that you get a far cleaner and less mids-hyped sound. i also play in a rock band but even then, i liked the epifani more.

anyway - lately, i was searching for something more lightweight than the ampeg svt classic top cause i don't wanna carry it to every gig. i tried everything from eden, aguilar, markbass, tec amp and glockenklang. all of these solid state tops, at least in combi with the 3x10 epifani, could not even approach the fulltube ampeg sound. eventually, i got myself the aguilar ag500 with two channels cause i liked it the best out of all the others and i just HAD to get something to carry around. still, if i compare it to the ampeg it can't compete. so for important gigs i will continue to use the ampeg.

what surprises me is that the ampeg head isn't 'dirty' or 'noisy' at all... i found out that it sounds very linear and natural combined with a clean cabinet. the dirty ampeg sound comes from their cabinets.

so, if you're searching for a nice combi, believe me, this one is worth trying. the 4x10 epifani might be even cooler... and i have to say that i haven't tried other fulltube heads.

cheers, peter

Archived