The Avatar 2x10 surprised me tonight...

Crescent Seven

• Members

I was going to put it on the chopping block...

I took it to a jam tonight, with a lower volume jazz/funk/jam project. I hadn't used it as a standalone with the 1001rbII until tonight. BIG difference in output and character with 480w as opposed to the 180w I get with the Ashdown.

So I guess it's just power hungry; it's rated for 1000w RMS, so it can handle what I was throwing at it. I boosted the bass on the Spector, ran the amp flat with the -14dB input cut engaged, and turned it up. Nice and punchy, without distorting or being honky.

Makes me happy...

C7

• Members

I noticed that my Avatar 115 8ohm cab was not that effiecient either. It sounded good but my volume knob was 3 1/2 to 4 notches up from where I usually have it. I sold it of course and wish I'd kept it to throw a Neo speaker in it and do the burdizzo mod. Would, shoulda coulda, wish in one hand {censored} in the other....

• Members

The wattage rating is only how much juice can be pumped through it before it melts. It doesn't mean it'll sound good.

I have an older Avatar 210 that I put on end (speakers up and down) under my Firebass for practices and jams. It's great! I was thinking of dumping it at one time.

• Members

Yea..I use a Avatar 410 with a Firebass 700 for practices and sounds pretty good...I wasn't for sure how it would hold up when I bought it, but its a great little cab.
;)

I had a Firebass 700 head.

It lasted about 5 minutes before the magic smoke came pouring out of it.

(Literally. I plugged it in and 5 minutes later- *POP! poof*- dead amp.)

• Members

what speakers it have? Is it a KAppa pro? You wannt sell it ever let me know?

Delta Pros. If I sell it I'll sell it locally, though. Shipping cabs sucks.

I think alot of the presence had to do with the Burdizzos mod, because it was nice and clean all the way up the neck. I hadn't heard it like that.

C7

• Members

Delta Pros. If I sell it I'll sell it locally, though. Shipping cabs sucks.

I think alot of the presence had to do with the Burdizzos mod, because it was nice and clean all the way up the neck. I hadn't heard it like that.

C7

180px-Burdizo_9in.jpg

A nine-inch Burdizzo, used primarily on goats, small calves, and sometimes on humans.

The Burdizzo is a castration device which employs a large clamp designed to break the blood vessels leading into the testicles. Once the blood supply to the testicles is lost, testicular necrosis occurs, and the testicles shrink, soften, and eventually deteriorate completely.

Burdizzos have also been used by some human males as a means of self-castration, often by those seeking a remedy for a high sex drive, or those who, for religious or personal reasons, seek to become eunuchs.

That is one scary mod.:eek::eek::eek:

• Members

Low Tone .that sucks you had problems with your firebass...I have been using mine for awhile and its a awesome monster head! Maybe you didnt have the right ohm setup....overloaded the head.

Nope. My ohms were right.

My repair guy braved plugging it in again before he worked on it and it did the same thing with him. *POP poof* then died again. He said it lasted about as long for him. When he tore into it , we decided it was going to cost more to fix it than I paid for it. Fortunately, the guy I bought it off of was a cool guy and refunded my money.

First piece of Peavey gear I've ever had that took a crap on me like that.

• Members

180px-Burdizo_9in.jpg

A nine-inch Burdizzo, used primarily on goats, small calves, and sometimes on humans.

The Burdizzo is a castration device which employs a large clamp designed to break the blood vessels leading into the testicles. Once the blood supply to the testicles is lost, testicular necrosis occurs, and the testicles shrink, soften, and eventually deteriorate completely.

Burdizzos have also been used by some human males as a means of self-castration, often by those seeking a remedy for a high sex drive, or those who, for religious or personal reasons, seek to become eunuchs.

That is one scary mod.
:eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Burdizzos for Mod!

:D

Archived