OT: NFL rant!!!! The Pats accuse the Colts of cheating!!!!

Funkee1

• Members

Dear Mr. Bellichick, or however you spell it,

You and the Patriots beat the Indianapolis Colts yesterday, and now I heard you believe the RCA dome pumps up the crowd noise to give the home team an advantage???

Dood, you won! STFU!!!!!!

If the Colts did cheat, it obviously didn't work, so why bother making a stink????

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dear Mr. Bellichick, or however you spell it,

You and the Patriots beat the Indianapolis Colts yesterday, and now I heard you believe the RCA dome pumps up the crowd noise to give the home team an advantage???

Dood, you won! STFU!!!!!!

If the Colts did cheat, it obviously didn't work, so why bother making a stink????

Quite yer {censored}ing whining...of course they are going to have an advantage at home...and should have. IF your players can't handle it then you need to get some different players- Pats fan sends.

Dan

• Members

Here you go...

http://coloyan.com/society/s110407.html

Remember how everyone was so quick to jump all over Bill Belichick and the Patriots because of "spygate"? Well I wonder what the media is going to do with "Noisegate" or to be more current "Podgate"? In case you missed it, during the Patriots/Colts game last night it appears that Colts President Bill Polian must have dropped his iPOD because for about 4-5 seconds the crowd noise that he has been accused of pumping into the RCA Dome actually skipped. Then after a few seconds the skipping disappeared along with all of the noise in the stadium. Several fans,
and
including
and
have reported hearing this and
actually has an MP3 where you can hear the incriminating evidence for yourself.

Download the MP3
The clip is 27 seconds long and between seconds 17-22 you can hear what sounds like some kind of mechanical skipping sound. Apparently Bill Polian must have dropped his iPOD and then frantically shut it off. You can also hear it on this Youtube clip as well:...

Now the question is this....The Patriots lost a first round draft pick for what they did, so what is going to happen to the Colts for pumping in fake crowd noise during a game? I'm guessing probably nothing since I'm sure Polian will just have a meeting of the rules committee and make fake crowd noise legal.

• Members

Ehem...

I'm not making any statements on whether they are actually pumping in crowd noise or not. I'm just saying that they have been accused of this before, and it has never been punished so I doubt it will be now.

Also, it would take more than a youtube video to convince me of just about anything.

• Members

It would get really loud before the snap, and then when a pats receiver caught the ball, it would shut up. It usually wasn't that loud after a pass was completed, and that's why I'm inclined to think it was an audio issue with the broadcast.

Here's more...

This is really interesting! If you have a recording of the game, go

to 3:58 in the 4th qtr. They are just coming out of a commercial

break and the Pats have the ball. Listen closely and you will hear

the crowd mics being switched on. There is an abrupt increase

in the crowd noise. I can't believe how obvious it is! The mics

were not fed into the system slowly with faders. The faders were

already up and the channels were off. The engineer just switches the

channels on and the volume increase is instantaneous!

You can sense the quality of the audio change. I'll bet dollars to donuts that this happened in the stadium and not in the broadcast booth. Comparing this "instant on" anomaly with the audio of other games not at the RCA would help confirm this. Broadcast engineers are pros. They fade audio in and out using faders so as not to create obvious abrupt changes. I also see no reason why the broadcast engineer would artificially increase the crowd volume anyway. It would taint the broadcast of the game.

additionally, in 2006, http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/sports/football/15colts.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue recently issued a memo saying
teams could lose draft picks
if they enhance stadium noise.

Tags was Barney Fife compared to how Goodell chooses to drop the hammer on rules infractions.

• Members

Although I'm loathe to admit it, this could be possible (from the steelers thing)

"The Colts were pumping in noise," Bouchette said. "I can tell you that they had extra microphones spread around the stadium and they took that noise from the fans and put it back through the PA."

I think the crowd noise cd is silly. I don't think the Colts would pump up the noise (in the section i was in, everyone was screaming at the top of their lungs, and the noise does reverberate in the RCA dome), but looping the crowdnoise over the PA would be possible.

EDIT: Zombie, didn't see your above post when I posted mine. Sorry it's repetitive...

• Members

I'm not making any statements on whether they are actually pumping in crowd noise or not. I'm just saying that they have been accused of this before, and it has never been punished so I doubt it will be now.

And I'm just saying that there may be more compelling evidence this time around. The YouTube clip didn't convince me of anything, the replay of the exact broadcast audio was pretty revealing though. There was something going on there.

• Members

Ehem...

I noticed that during the game. I just figured there was a problem with the CBS audio mix. I presume the broadcast booth at the RCA dome is isolated and if that's the case the network would need to mix in some ambient crowd noise behind the commentators. At one point during the game, the crowd noise nearly drowned out the commentators and it sounded to me like some engineer hit the wrong fader on the mixer.

That being said however, I did notice during the game how well rehearsed the Colts fans were. The crowd noise sounded as controlled and on cue as the laugh track on TV shows.

• Members

I noticed that during the game. I just figured there was a problem with the CBS audio mix. I presume the broadcast booth at the RCA dome is isolated and if that's the case the network would need to mix in some ambient crowd noise behind the commentators. At one point during the game, the crowd noise nearly drowned out the commentators and it sounded to me like some engineer hit the wrong fader on the mixer.

That being said however, I did notice during the game how well rehearsed the Colts fans were. The crowd noise sounded as controlled and on cue as the laugh track on TV shows.

Someone else with a similar response...

Here is my contribution to "noisegate". I work with audio from podcasts a lot, and I am familiar with audio files. Here is the graphical representation of the audio from the CBS feed. I labeled points of interest.

You can clearly see the noise level increase by approximately 3 fold at one point, where the skipping starts, and where the skipping ends. Notice how the audio signatures are similar before the crowd noise increases noticeably from 0 to 5 seconds, and how it looks from 22.5 to 22.7 seconds. You can also see how the baseline noise is uniform from the time the skipping starts until it ends. At no other point in this audio is the baseline uniform. That suggests to me that it is artificial/mechanical in some way.

• Members

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Quote: Following up on the crowd noise issue in the RCA Dome, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello passes along the following:

"CBS has informed us that the unusual audio moment heard by fans during the Patriots-Colts telecast was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck and was isolated to the CBS broadcast. It was in no way related to any sound within the stadium and could not be heard in the stadium."

• Members

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Quote: Following up on the crowd noise issue in the RCA Dome, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello passes along the following:

"CBS has informed us that the unusual audio moment heard by fans during the Patriots-Colts telecast was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck and was isolated to the CBS broadcast. It was in no way related to any sound within the stadium and could not be heard in the stadium."

Okedoke, cool. :)

That said, these allegations have been around for years against the Colts, and I think its justified to look into them (either now, or in the future).

• Members

Okedoke, cool.
:)

That said, these allegations have been around for years against the Colts, and I think its justified to look into them (either now, or in the future).

We'll see if this is really over. If it is, so be it, but that doesn't sound like any "tape feedback" I've ever heard.

I've got a call in to my brother-in-law. He may have actually been IN the truck in question, it is what he does. I want to know (even if he wasn't there) what he thinks.

Archived