Can you guys fill me in on the SX basses?

Thrashterpiece

• Members

Ok guys, whats the story with these? I see alot of people on here talking about them. Do you guys buy them and then upgrade them with different pickups and such or are they that good that you just set them up and play? I was looking at www.rondomusic.com and saw quite a few that I liked and the prices are killer but that whole "If something is too good to be true...." mentallity kicks in. So any information you could provide me on these basses would be much appreciated.

• Members

Search "rondo".

There's too much information to divulge in a single post, and even more opinions. Actually, I'd research it myself and post if it would get stickied or some such.

Anyway, a lot of people like them, some play them stock. Most change the pots, lots change the bridge, some change the pups, a few completely pimp it out with a repaint, new knobs, tuners, wiring, shielding, etc etc etc.

They're fun, inexpensive instruments. Worst case scenario, you buy one and don't like it, then sell it to one of us. :D

• Members

I hot rodded mine. I got it professionally setup. I'm diggin' the hell outta it.

I played it stock for over a year. Replacing the pots made the most difference.

The strings that come with it pretty much suck. But those are replaced every so often anyway.

If you have a pickup preference, go for it. I put a Bill Lawrence in mine and have it wired for series/parallel on a push-pull. The stock one is fine, and much better once you replace the pots & wiring.

If you want a more modern sound, a bridge like the BadAss will drop right in. Otherwise, the stock is fine for more old skool.

The stock plastic nut is okay, but I replaced mine with a bone nut.

I swapped jacks with a Switchcraft. After installing Dunlop straplocs on my 'Rays, I swapped the stock strap knobs with my MusicMan ones.

If you listen to Auroras Dance and Head Trip on my MySpace, you can hear it.

I'll gig with it w/o a backup for parties and places I don't want to bring my 'Rays.

I think I've got a pic of it there with DR blue coated strings. :)

• Members

So any information you could provide me on these basses would be much appreciated.

Don't worry about it too much. If you hang around these forums for more than a couple of days, you will eventually buy an SX P-Bass or J-Bass copy (I know I did). Soon enough you'll find out all about Rondo's fine offerings for yourself.

Emre

• Members

Don't worry about it too much. If you hang around these forums for more than a couple of days, you
will
eventually buy an SX P-Bass or J-Bass copy (I know I did). Soon enough you'll find out all about Rondo's fine offerings for yourself.

Emre

I have been her for close to 2 years and have yet to buy an SX (probably never will).

• Members

the necks are weird (at least they have been in the ones i've played.)

I think it's an OK bass for the price. I've played poorer quality instruments at twice the price.

But yeah... there is something goofy about their necks. I wasn't a fan of their necks at all.

• Members

2 people saying this, is enough to spark my interest... could you please elaborate?

It's my personal preference. I think they feel a little bit like a Rickenbacker neck (not quite... but somewhat). I guess I'd place it somewhere between a Fender P-Bass and a Ric (but closer to the Ric). They feel a little clunky in my hands. I don't know exactly what it is. Just the way it's shaped I guess.

It's also lacquered. And I much prefer a satin neck. But that can always be sanded down a bit.

A lot of people like them... and many more people like Rics. So again... it's personal preference.

• Members

I have been her for close to 2 years and have yet to buy an SX (probably never will).

Yeah, but you're in Denmark...which means you'd probably pay more for shipping and duties than what the bass itself costs. Around here, it's a Fender copy that you can have in your hands for, what, $125 bucks all in? Not bad for a project bass. No better or worse in quality than a Squier or any other low-end budget bass. Spend $15-20 on pots and wiring plus a few minutes on fret dressing and set-up and you've got yourself a solid backup bass for significantly less than the cheapest Squier P- or J-Bass you can find.

Emre

• Members

It's my personal preference. I think they feel a little bit like a Rickenbacker neck (not quite... but somewhat). I guess I'd place it somewhere between a Fender P-Bass and a Ric (but closer to the Ric). They feel a little clunky in my hands. I don't know exactly what it is. Just the way it's shaped I guess.

It's also lacquered. And I much prefer a satin neck. But that can always be sanded down a bit.

A lot of people like them... and many more people like Rics. So again... it's personal preference.

My SX Pee was VERY chunky. It was nice though. I guess it depends what you like. I'd agree that its probably closer to a Ric in terms of profile.

Yes they have a lacquered finish but a lot of basses do and this can easily be made satin if you like. As far as woods go, mine had a nice flame all over. :cool:

• Members

I have a SX P and a SX Jazz both are stock and play just fine.

to me they rival MIM Fender....close but just a hair under the MIM overall.

$109 for the P. $160 for the J with a bound neck.

no where near the feel or quality of a Ric BTW

Sorry, Im new here so I am guessing MIM is made in malaysia or something?

• Members

I love the neck on my SX fretless Pee.

My MIM Jazz is the only bass I'd fight to the death over. :p Nothing else that I've "been with" has gotten me off quite like it does, but I wouldn't hesitate to have another SX, though I'd have to have it go through Kindness first, so that it'd be equal to what I currently have. Ha.

Archived