ABG: Michael Kelly or Tacoma ?

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I've been thinking of getting myself an ABG. I won't spend a fortune. These 2 models caught my attention and I had the occasion to try them out, but not side by side (in different stores rather), so it's hard to compare. I also read reviews and I try to consider some aspects I've read. That said, here are the models and what I've experienced or read about them. Your input on which would be a better idea would be appreciated !

Tacoma Thuderchief:

Pros : Good lows, great neck, good overall sound. Comes with a hardshell case, made in USA (I do have a preference for north american products).

Cons : Higher cost, body feels a bit big. I also read reviews saying that they don't last, that they are unreliable.

Michael Kelly Club Deluxe:

Pros: Good overall sound, quite sweet. Nice looks (it's, like the Tacoma, a solid wood bass). The neck is graphite reenforced and should last. Great overall feel. Less expensive.

Cons: It seemed to have less lows then the Tacoma (but it could be the room I was in or some other factor), no hardcase included, made in Korea (but the workmanship seems good)

I'd be using this instrument mainly for personnal practice and occasional jams... but I can't stand cheesy instruments (having pretty good stuff allready)... buying something cheaply made means I won't use it.

So, opinions on any of these ? Any inputs or other suggestions ???

• Members

It seems to me that you've already made your decision, but if you're still having doubts, take my word for it: get the Tacoma. The sound and feel alone is no comparison.

But then again, YMMV.

Are you from the US ? How much are they selling for (the Tacomas) ? They are still pretty expensive in Canada but since our dollar is doing well, I guess we'll be able to pay them pretty much the same price then in the US in a couple of months. So any idea how much they cost in the US ?

• Members

I liked the clubs that I played, but this Takamine won the day when I was checking out ABGs. It was loud, fitting, sexy, and it played like butter.

Now, what you need to look at, I think, would primarily be comfort and volume.

I don't think that you could go wrong either way. :) I'd go Tacoma, myself, because of the loud rep, but I'm a big ol' guy, so the bigness is welcome. :thu:

• Members

I've played both the Tacoma and the Michael Kelly ABGs

I was not impressed by the Michael Kelly, one key thing was that the fret ends were terribly sharp, and the sound wasn't anything to write home about.

I really really liked the Tacoma bass. The sound was big and full (for an ABG) and the craftmanship seemed to be very good.

I own a Washburn AB-10, and I can tell you that my experience with the quality (sound, and craftmanship) is poor and the customer service is even worse.

If I had it to do all over again, I would've saved some more money up and bought the Tacoma.

....my 2 cents....

• Members

I liked the clubs that I played, but this Takamine won the day when I was checking out ABGs. It was loud, fitting, sexy, and it played like butter.

Now, what you need to look at, I think, would primarily be comfort and volume.

I don't think that you could go wrong either way.
:)
I'd go Tacoma, myself, because of the loud rep, but I'm a big ol' guy, so the bigness is welcome.
:thu:

What model of Takamine was it... I wasn't impressed with the ones I tried but I might have tried the wrong sort...

• Members

Are you from the US ? How much are they selling for (the Tacomas) ? They are still pretty expensive in Canada but since our dollar is doing well, I guess we'll be able to pay them pretty much the same price then in the US in a couple of months. So any idea how much they cost in the US ?

Ahh, that does change things a bit then.

Just by looking on ebay and a few online stores, it looks like Thnderchiefs go for around $1000 US used, although the one model that Musician's friend has listed (4 string fretless) is listed at $699 US, so I'd expect to pay about $800 at a brick and mortar store.

As far as how that translates to CAN $, I have no idea.

• Members

If you can find an affordable Tacoma, especially pre-Fender, I have no doubt it'll be better than any Michael Kelly ever. I have a Michael Kelly and love it, but it ain't no Tacoma, especially playing unplugged. It's gorgeous to look at, though.

• Moderators

I owned a Thunderchief. Probably the only regret I have when it comes to selling gear. Great player, great action and the soundhole is a perfect spot to rest your thumb. That said, an ABG isn't going to be heard above 1 acoustic guitar, so you have to be amped to be heard by a large group of people. I'd be more inclined to spend less money than the Thunderchief if money is an issue. I'd look at the Olympia version. FWIW, I have a Takamine EG512C now. It's a decent player for the money, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it for an Olympia. Don't shy away from a Tacoma because Fender now owns them either. They're still the same instruments they were before the acquisition.

Archived