Single pickup per string? Project idea!

tedmich

• Members

Wasn't there a European bas Mfg. who used individual (round) pickups one per string?

I have been winding my own recently, anyone else tried this?

It really isn't too hard, I made one winder with a VS drill, picked up sewing machine motor based yarn winder at a thrift store I'm modifying ( a VS footpedal...thankgod!) and I found nice 40-44g magnet wire on FleaBay

I am exploring wire gauges, pole materials and some of the now cheap rare earth magnets. I'll be trying my individual single coils on my 6 string bass soon, should be finally able to even out the string volumes.

Eventually I plan a hexaphonic amp, solid state, based on LM3886's (Chainclone)with 6 little ported cabs tuned to the strings. Should sound neat with the strings around you, or stacked vertical. Expect about half horsepower (68w x 6) from the beast (Amp could double as a 5.1 system).

Cabs may be bandpass at the center freq of each string or just B4s tuned to the lowest note from each, looking at Eosone 12" drives ($25, cheap!) but the cabs are too big... leaning toward Eminence 2510s at ~1ft3 each

I know S. Clarke had a sphere speaker array, anyone know of a one speaker per one amp per one string setup?

ideally looking for meaningful feedback on this idea, not noise..."My Eden rocks, buy one loser...etc ;)

• Members

Individual pickups have been done many, many times already.

They are great to get clarity and balance strings at the source.

Now using separate outputs is useless and just calling for trouble.

Separate amps make so sense from a practical or sonic point of view.

• Members

I haven't done much with them as string pickups, but I've had some good fun winding coils to listen to magnetic fields. Like picking up the ignition and alternators in passing cars and the stuff leaking out of computers.

Post pix of your winder if you get a chance. :thu:

• Moderators

Now using separate outputs is useless and just calling for trouble.

Separate amps make so sense from a practical or sonic point of view.

That's your practical side speaking. Of course it makes no sense in any traditional setting. If the point is to simply have a ridiculously unique amplification experience it sounds like a crazy fun idea. If there is a practical use for it, it has been discovered yet.

• Members

Bob Weir did this way back when. 4 strings, 4 pickups, 19 knobs, 3 switches and the world's worst tone.

Phil Lesh, you mean. And "great tone" is clearly in the ear of the beholder. During the Wall of Sound era, the era to which you refer, albeit {censored}ing up the name of the player, his Alembic had great {censored}ing tone. His tone deteriorated when he switched to the Modulus.

• Members

that was PHIL LESH

Yeah, yeah, I know. I just got out of a LONG ass meeting, and just before going in some coworkers were talking about Bob Weir, my brain was fried at that point.

I still stand behind my statement that I don't care for his tone, swear at me all you want, it doesn't make it fact, it makes it your opinions.

Archived