Which ampeg fridge is this?

REMUS

• Members

Now that I think about it, since the rear tag has so little information, I now believe that's an MTI-era (1980-1985) cabinet. All of the MTI stuff, the SVT, V7, V5 and V3, had minimal labeling.

This is the upper half of a sawed-in-half early cabinet.

ba96_1.JPG

Looks like we have a winnar!

2b68_3.JPG

• Members

Music Technology Inc. They bought Ampeg from Selmer/Magnavox in 1980. In 1985, MTI sold Ampeg to SLM, St. Louis Music.

Thanks. I have an older head like from around '79 or '80, when they used the straight sided cabinet. I'm curious about exactly when it was made.

:idk:

• Members

Thanks. I have an older head like from around '79 or '80, when they used the straight sided cabinet. I'm curious about exactly when it was made.

:idk:

Remove one of the drivers and post/PM the numbers on the magnet assembly. If it's a straight-back it's late '60s to early '70s but the numbers will get it closer.

• Members

I shared a cabinet at a gig once and it was an old AMPEG SVT-9 (yep 9 Ten inch speakers):thu:....I was holy shit i had never seen one before....man did it ever sound nice with my head on it....I have yet to see one for sale?...has anyone else seen one of these?...

• Members

I've used several Ampeg 810 cabs over the years and there are several different models produced since they were first introduced in 1969.

A friend of mine let me borrow his '72 straight back. They originally had square magnet CTS drivers in them (CTS became Eminance). The cab had 3 strap handles on one side and had an optional screw on caster dolly. The tag on the back of the cabinet said "SVT", but was also stamped "Linden, Nj". This cabinet is also made of plywood, not OSB like the newer cabs.

I bought my first 810E in 1990. It was a SLM (St. Louis Music) cabinet. It had 2 1/4" jacks on the back and ran all 8 speakers in mono. Lost the cab in a rehearsal room fire. Luckily my Ampeg SVT-II (non-pro) was at home and survived.

I got my newest 810E last year. Also a SLM cabinet. This one has 2 1/4" jacks & 2 Neutrik Speakons on the crossover plate. This cabinet can be ran in several configurations. You can run the top 4 speakers as a 410, or you can run the cabinet stereo (410 top & 410 bottom), and finally you can run the cab mono (all 810's at once).

I think all 3 cabs sound good, but the '72 had a lot warmer tone.

Archived