Stilled buzzed after 1 week!

countrybass

• Members

I think I know why, but I need this explained to me. Here is what the dbx manual say's. "For maximum hum rejection with a balanced source, avoid common grounding at the 166XL's input and output. Most balanced (3-conductor) cables have a shield at both ends. This can result in ground loops which cause hum. If hum is a problem, try disconnecting the shield on one or more of your cables, preferably at the input of a device, not at the output: Ground the shield of the input cable at the source device (leaving it unconnected at the 166XL's input) and ground the shield of the output cable to the ground terminal of the 166XL (leaving it unconnected at the receiving device). The shield is pin 1 on the XLR, sleeve on a 1/4" TRS". Now what the hell does that mean? lol!! I just plugged in a regular 1/4" cable, I don't think it's TRS whatever that means. Also what do they mean by "balanced"? Again I'm not tech saavy at all, so if it could be explained very simplistically. but I do know that the buzz is driving me nuts!! lol!!

• Members

Oh, I hope I get the right. My wireless goes in to the input of the dbx, or my bass directly if I'm using a cable, then out of the dbx into my sonic maximizer, then out of that to the input of my head. I use the tuner out on my tuner to the tuner in on my head. I think that's it. I'm at work and I'm trying to visualize it. lol! Then I mono bridge from my out of my head to my cab.

• Moderators

Let's figure this out by eliminating extraneous devices and add them one by one until the buzz returns.

First, plug the bass into the head using a cable; no wireless, no tuner, no sonic maximizer.

If that buzzes, we can trouble shoot there. If it does not buzz, add the maximizer.

If it doesn't buzz, add the wireless.

If it doesn't buzz, add the tuner.

Once we know the source of the buzz, we can fix it.

• Members

Let's figure this out by eliminating extraneous devices and add them one by one until the buzz returns.

First, plug the bass into the head using a cable; no wireless, no tuner, no sonic maximizer.

If that buzzes, we can trouble shoot there. If it does not buzz, add the maximizer.

If it doesn't buzz, add the wireless.

If it doesn't buzz, add the tuner.

Once we know the source of the buzz, we can fix it.

Yes the buzz is coming from the dbx.

• Members

That's they way they told me to do it at GC. In fact, a bro from GC actually came to my place and hooked it up the way that I described. I do have a question though. I quoted directly from the dbx manual pertaining to buzzing. Do you think that any of that comes into play here?

• Members

That's they way they told me to do it at GC.

Figures.

Without looking at the specs, most rack equipment uses a Line Level signal. Instruments and inputs on amps...are instrument level. They don't jive well with each other. Someone can much better explain exactly why than me, but that's what I know.

Generally speaking...there are exceptions.

Rack effects=effects loop

Pedal effects=out front

• Members

i think both your compressor and your sonic maximizer should be in your effects loop. it's kind of crazy to think that GC would advise you to do it any other way, especially since there are very good pedal versions of both that they sell that you could use in front of your amp. 0_o

:freak:

hopefully wikipedia's explanation will be a helpful explanation. there are different ways to get signals from one place to another. the most common is instrument cable, which is 1/4" TS. the TS stands for "tip-sleeve" which means that the tip and the sleeve are the two sections on the connector. balanced signals are most commonly found in XLR and 1/4" TRS connectors. TRS stands for "tip-ring-sleve". it's the same connector as a big stereo headphone plug.

obviously the dbx manual is written for a higher level of tech skill than you have.

i would recommend first that you try moving the dbx and BBE to the effects loop of your amplifier. if you still have buzz issues, take it to an actual tech and pay to have it wired properly and work buzz-free. make sure you tell the tech you want it buzz-free. otherwise, you might get a buzzing, but properly wired, rack.

robb.

• Moderators

i think both your compressor and your sonic maximizer should be in your effects loop. it's kind of crazy to think that GC would advise you to do it any other way, especially since there are very good pedal versions of both
that they sell
that you could use in front of your amp. 0_o

:freak:

hopefully
wikipedia's explanation
will be a helpful explanation. there are different ways to get signals from one place to another. the most common is instrument cable, which is 1/4" TS. the TS stands for "tip-sleeve" which means that the tip and the sleeve are the two sections on the connector. balanced signals are most commonly found in XLR and 1/4" TRS connectors. TRS stands for "tip-ring-sleve". it's the same connector as a big stereo headphone plug.

obviously the dbx manual is written for a higher level of tech skill than you have.

i would recommend first that you try moving the dbx and BBE to the effects loop of your amplifier. if you still have buzz issues, take it to an actual tech and pay to have it wired properly and work buzz-free. make sure you tell the tech you want it buzz-free. otherwise, you might get a buzzing, but properly wired, rack.

robb.

I agree on all counts.

Also, I'm sorry doc5string, I should have told you at the beginning you aren't using a balanced source, so that portion of the manual is not directed to your application.

• Members

Thanks guys! A good friend of mine Freddie K was Zack Wyld's guitar tech, he also worked for Shine Down and just got home last week from a tour with Alice in Chains. I spoke with him and he too said that that stuff should have been run through the effects loop. But he also told me that I didn't need the comp/gate/limiter and the sonic max, but instead he wants me to use a tube pre-amp and some other thing that I forget. Anyways, he and I are getting together soon to try some different stuff. I'll keep you all posted.

Archived