Does anyone make a stacked volume/blend knob

justinbass

• Members

the problem is that a blend pot is actually two concentric pots wired in reverse of each other, so that when you turn the knob, one pickup increases level, while the other attenuates level.

in order to stack a blend with a volume, you'd need three concentric pots. good luck finding that in the right value and size.

robb.

• Members

the problem is that a blend pot is actually two concentric pots wired in reverse of each other, so that when you turn the knob, one pickup increases level, while the other attenuates level.

in order to stack a blend with a volume, you'd need three concentric pots. good luck finding that in the right value and size.

robb.

And that is why I asked :thu:

I know it is odd, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• Moderators

Here's a Jazz wiring diagram for V/B/T

And the the page with the parts. I know that's not what you're looking for, but perhaps some of the folks viewing this thread can see first hand what is meant by the balance knob already being something of a "stacked" knob. FWIW, I use 3 way switches for pickup switches on my PJs when I have to do so. I prefer to simply wire up V/V/T, which you could take a standard concentric pot for something like that.

wduss2102

• Moderators

FWIW, I use 3 way switches for pickup switches on my PJs when I have to do so. I prefer to simply wire up V/V/T, which you could take a standard concentric pot for something like that.

I'm doing my PJ V/V no tone. I never use a tone anyway.

• Moderators

I'm doing my PJ V/V no tone. I never use a tone anyway.

Generally, I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy, but even the original project I'm in at the moment plays a wide variety of styles, from aggressive rock (pick) to country and some reggae. I roll off the tone quite a bit for the dub stuff. It saves visits to the amp eq. The G&L SB-2 comes simply V/V. I changed that immediately to V/B/T.

Regarding the OP, justinbass, is there a reason you must go with vol/blend on one concentric? Even if you only have 2 holes drilled on this bass, you can still use a stacked for both the volumes and then use another standard CTS pot for your tone. Vol/Vol works the same as having a master volume/blend.

• Members

Regarding the OP, justinbass, is there a reason you must go with vol/blend on one concentric? Even if you only have 2 holes drilled on this bass, you can still use a stacked for both the volumes and then use another standard CTS pot for your tone. Vol/Vol works the same as having a master volume/blend.

Because I want one twist to chance tones, and another to change the volume. It isn't out of laziness, but rather I just think it is "right" to be set up that way.

I may just drill and add a 3 way pickup selector switch and have the knob be Vol and tone.

Archived