Ampeg SVT-II Pro Vs. Mesa 400+

ToeJamFootball

• Members

I've owned both, liked both, and sold both.

IMO, it's a coin toss. My SVT II Pro was louder than my 400+, can't speak for any other individual amps. Both sounded great. The 400+ had a cleaner, clearer sound - but not terribly clear objectively, it's a slightly murky sounding amp by nature. The Ampeg had that sweet, smooth, monstrous distortion. Sure, it could do clean too, but I preferred the Mesa's clean and the Ampeg's distortion was so good, I didn't really try to tweak the clean tone since I didn't use it clean.

I like that the 400+ can take a single 8 Ohm cab. The Ampeg had an adjustable bias, with lights on the back.

I sold the Ampeg first, but only because I had an offer I would have been stupid to pass up for it. The Mesa which I sold later I sold because I wasn't using it any more.

• Members

the only time i heard a mesa 400+ was at a My Morning Jacket gig earlier this year, and it was, without a doubt, the WORST bass tone i've ever heard. there must have been a sound engineer/artist/settings/venue problem, as i have no doubt it's a fantastic amp, but yeah... the sound sucked!

• Members

the only time i heard a mesa 400+ was at a My Morning Jacket gig earlier this year, and it was, without a doubt, the WORST bass tone i've ever heard. there must have been a sound engineer/artist/settings/venue problem, as i have no doubt it's a fantastic amp, but yeah... the sound sucked!

What bass was he playing? Was it Fender-ish? ;) That'll ruin ANY good setup! :D

EDIT:

Oh, and btw-

my nice little deal on a Mesa Powerhouse 210+212 setup is about closed! :D

• Members

i love the tones on the Mesa, it has a tone that can take down buildings, it cuts through like butter, its really punchy and powerful....

the Ampegs i like are the old ones...

but there is no comparison to be made between those two really, its like comparing a cat to a whale...

go for the Ampeg if youre into that classic, fat, warm tone...

go for the Mesa if youre looking for something else (although with the Mesa you can get really fat tones)...

• Members

i love the tones on the Mesa, it has a tone that can take down buildings, it cuts through like butter, its really punchy and powerful....

the Ampegs i like are the old ones...

but there is no comparison to be made between those two really, its like comparing a cat to a whale...

go for the Ampeg if youre into that classic, fat, warm tone...

go for the Mesa if youre looking for something else (although with the Mesa you can get really fat tones)...

eh??

has anyone else come to this conclusion who has actually played both?

Archived