are there any 6-string basses that sound good anymore?

Fishyfan

• Members

I have no idea what you mean but there are plenty of 6 string basses that sound good.

Dan

like a Gibson EB-3/EB-O or a Rickenbacker or something like them.

to get an example, listen to songs off of Fresh Cream. (Spoonful, Im So Glad, I Feel Free and any of the others) that was Fender 6-string bass. i want a sound like that or the previously stated instruments.

• Members

I'm sure there are..although if there isn't you could have one made. I'm not a 6 string player though..My guess would be the new 6 string Bongo that's coming out. I think it could do just about anything.

Dan

• Members

There are no real 6 string basses from the 60s, and probably not very many from the 70s. Or are you saying you'd like a 6 string bass that has tonal qualities similar your favorite 60s-70s four string models? That's quite a different thing.

Fwiw, most folks here seem to think that most Gibson EB-0s and EB-3s sounded like muddy thuddy crap. But if that's what you want and it works for you, great! Just don't expect to get much help finding a 6 string that sounds like that.

A 6er that sounds like a Ric would be an interesting beast. A custom built one ought to be possible, but it'd be pricey - you'd need all-maple neck-through construction, a massive bridge, and custom built pickups built to the same specs as Rickenbacker's, but in 6 string width.

• Members

...are you saying you'd like a 6 string bass that has tonal qualities similar your favorite 60s-70s four string models?

A 6er that sounds like a Ric would be an interesting beast. A custom built one ought to be possible, but it'd be pricey - you'd need all-maple neck-through construction, a massive bridge, and custom built pickups built to the same specs as Rickenbacker's, but in 6 string width.

the first thing i have quoted is what i want.

when referencing the Rickenbacker, i was thinking about the characteristics of a Rick and thought something along the lines of having a fat, full-of-life tone and not the thin, lifeless sound that i have heard coming from every 6er i have played thus far.

• Members

the first thing i have quoted is what i want.

when referencing the Rickenbacker, i was thinking about the characteristics of a Rick and thought something along the lines of having a fat, full-of-life tone and not the thin, lifeless sound that i have heard coming from every 6er i have played thus far.

What 6ers have you played thus far?

A good quality, yet reasonable, 6er that will get in the ballpark in sound will be the new Bongo 6er. I guarantee that one will be FULL of life, phat & spunky.

Archived