OT: Gmail users....

y-o-y

• Members

Does it bother anyone else that gmail now has chat embedded in the standard gmail interface? My favorite thing about Gmail is(was?) the absolute simplicity of the interface. This chat "integration" a step in the wrong direction IMHO

I know there is a link to switch to the older version, but I want to default to the older version...screw you google.

• Members

I like it. Work doesn't block google, so I can chat at work. It isn't a big deal if you just ignore it.

I shouldn't have to ignore it. I would like the option to disable it if I choose. If Google wants to have a variety of wigets available to users to add to their gmail interface, that is great. But if I just want the core mail functionality, I should be able to have that, unadulterated.

• Members

It doesn't look any different to me. The chat has been there for ages. What annoys me is that Yahoo put chat in and its useless and full of spam messages.
:mad:

Chat has been there but the Quick Contact list is new, I think. I know they made some changes early this week cuz my Gmail Notifier FF plug-in wasn't working for a few days until it was updated to work with the new gmail features (quick contacts being the one I noticed)

• Members

That quick contact list has been there as long as I can remember.

I've been on Gmail since...........uhhh *checks* 2005 :)

My Gmail notifier is working fine, no problems with it. I have the standalone in work and the FF integrated one at home, both are working fine.

• Members

I can't tell the difference. What am I missing?

does your gmail look like this (the the Quick Contacts widget below the navigation)?

chat_callout.gif

If so, and if you don't like it, there should be a links labled "Older Version" in the upper right of the screen which will switch you to the version of gmail without the Quick Contacts widget.

• Moderators

does your gmail look like this (the the Quick Contacts widget below the navigation)?

chat_callout.gif

If so, and if you don't like it, there should be a links labled "Older Version" in the upper right of the screen which will switch you to the version of gmail without the Quick Contacts widget.

Yes, but even my older version looks like that. It's ALWAYS looked like that.

• Members

Yes, but even my older version looks like that. It's ALWAYS looked like that.

Interesting. I don't know what is going on, alls I know is I don't like it.

edit...maybe they just integrated the chat functionality to the quick contacts list? I dunno.

• Members

chat_callout.gif

Thats pretty much exactly how my Gmail has looked since I signed up (about 3 years ago).

• Members

I shouldn't have to ignore it. I would like the option to disable it if I choose. If Google wants to have a variety of wigets available to users to add to their gmail interface, that is great. But if I just want the core mail functionality, I should be able to have that, unadulterated.

Holy {censored}. You should definitely return it and get your money back.

Oh wait, it's a free service and you get what they give you. Got it.

Archived