Does anyone own a carvin bass?

I stink at bass

• Moderators

I had a LB70 for about 5 years. As solidly built as any bass I've come across. I didn't care for the ebony board and the neck through construction. It was very clean and clear and even in response. I think it'd make a really nice 6 string.

• Members

I have an LB75, all mahogany (neck and wings), ebony f/b, black hardware, stacked h/bers. I find the neck a little thin (tapers toward the nut), but not uncomfortable. Solidly built, good craftsmanship. I have heard about electronic problems, but I have never found that to be true. I kept mine when I bought an Alembic Orion. I bought it new in 1994 or so, and it is not nor will ever be for sale. Very hi-fi when you want it to be, but you can dial in something more vintage as well.

It is my taxicab. (Pips points for those who know that allusion.)

• Members

I have had (3) Carvin basses over the last 20+ years and they have all played fine and were all very good in there build quality. I have one remaining LB75 that was purchased around 1991 it has held up very well over the years, the finish and playability are still excellent. My only complaint is that I never cared for the sound of there electronics, I have changed them out to a few other brands and still have not found *the* sound I am looking for with that bass but someday I will!

• Members

That explains a few things!
:lol:

So I assume when you started they made only rightys, and you flipped it upside down and learned like that? Then just got used to it?

Yep, I never even owned an actual left-handed bass until the late ninties. :D

• Members

I owned a BB75 for several years. The build quality and feel were very impressive. I love the body shape, but swapped the pups, pre, pots & wiring with a Bartolini 'harness.' That mod took the instrument to a whole nutha level. Seriously, it was a beautiful match.

I eventually sold her due to the fact that I simply could not get the action I wanted. I always wondered what it would have been like as a fretless though, and so I GAS over a 6 string fretless BB model. I miss the shape and feel of that neck. In the end, I'll prolly pass on it tho, and get a LeCompte or Peavey.

• Members

In the end, I'll prolly pass on it tho, and get a LeCompte or Peavey.

You are wise beyond your years.:thu:

BTW I was just playing my Carvin for the first time in a long time, and the neck on it seems really thick and clunky after playing Bud's necks, and I used to think the Carvin neck was kind of slim!

Archived