Mesa Boogie Vs Trace Elliot

Awake77

• Members

I went into my local shop today to pick up a used Mesa Road Ready 2x10 and Mesa Diesel 1x15. The 2x10 is one of the old school models, and when I tested it had a nasty rattle - sounded like the drivers were loose, so I put money down on the rig to hold it,and my sales guy is sending it out for repair.

Then I walked in the back room, and what do I see but a near-mint Trace Elliot 2x15 and 4x10! Not sure what model number - they were carpeted though.

Anyway, the Mesa rig is going to run me $600 for both cabs. I use a Hartke HA7000, which is biamped with an active xover - so I figured that would be a sweet setup.

Each one of those Trace cabs is ~$600.

What should I go for? The Mesa 2x10 and 1x15, or a Trace 4x10 or 2x15??

I didn't get a chance to play through the TE cabs yet - but wanted to get some input on what you guys thought.

Thanks!

A77

• Members

I doubt the trace stuff will match the mesa (unless it's been loaded with different drivers?), but the sheer speaker surface area will rape the mesa rig in terms of volume.

Well its not all that much of a difference - the surface area of one 15 and two 10's is about equal to four 10's.

I think the drivers in the Trace cabs are stock......

• Members

I thought you meant you were going to get both of the trace cabs, I would personally go for the mesa.

And I was also refering to the mesa having non standard drivers, not the trace stuff. If they don't have Mesa drivers then go for the trace cabs, imo.

• Members

And I was also refering to the mesa having non standard drivers, not the trace stuff. If they don't have Mesa drivers then go for the trace cabs, imo.

Ah, gotcha...the 1x15 Diesel is definitely legit and in excellent shape, but I am a bit worried about the 2x10...the drivers showed signs of being removed and were missing a couple screws. I asked them to check and make sure they were the stock drivers - otherwise I'm not interested.

Do you know what drivers mesa used in the older RoadReady cabs? Here's a pic:

MES0131_1.jpg

• Members

Cool - thanks for the response Remus.

Well, if the speakers do turn out to be non-stock, I found out I can have it repaired back to factory specs for free! So that's great, I've read online that the early mesa 2x10's either came with EV or Eden 10's.

I'll have to call Mesa tomorrow to confirm.

• Members

Ah, gotcha...the 1x15 Diesel is definitely legit and in excellent shape, but I am a bit worried about the 2x10...the drivers showed signs of being removed and were missing a couple screws. I asked them to check and make sure they were the stock drivers - otherwise I'm not interested.

Do you know what drivers mesa used in the older RoadReady cabs? Here's a pic:

MES0131_1.jpg

they used to make some speakers that were internally isolated and sounded BRUUUUUUUUUTAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL..... but they dont make them anymore, i think :cry: :cry:

Archived