What are the pro's and con's of Elixer strings?

Conformer

• Members

I have never used them. I notice they are really high $$, and I know guitar players love them. Yet, I never hear bass players talk about them. Right now I am digging my steel Roto-sounds.

Anyway tell me what the pro's and con's are on Elixer strings.

• Members

I have never used them. I notice they are really high $$, and I know guitar players love them. Yet, I never hear bass players talk about them. Right now I am digging my steel Roto-sounds.

Anyway tell me what the pro's and con's are on Elixer strings.

More is not always better. They are way over priced, IMO.

• Members

for acoustics, they last easily three times as long as a $5 set of strings making the $15 price tag well worth it. the new phosfer bronze strings sound even better than whatever standard acoustic gutiar strings are made of.

i dont think i would even bother buying a set for my electric six stringers or my basses.

• Members

To my ear and such, the sound is one that I've never had from another set of strings. It's punchy, solid, bright, and it has a texture to it that a normal set of rounds can't cop. I really dug the one set that I had, but they're too expensive for a bum like myself. I thought that they were WELL worth the price, especially since I kill strings like fills kill groove. I normally kill a good set in six weeks, a bad set in two, and the elixirs lasted like... four months? I changed them, but went back about three months post change and stuck them back on. I was still throughly impressed. Killed them about three weeks later, though.

• Members

My experience is they are the best strings I've ever played. Mine never sounded dead and I've had mine on my bass for about a year now. I'm due for a string change and I'll be using Elixers again. The sticker price is kinda high but I don't change strings that often so it's worth it for me. Plus, I know the music store salesmen so I get deep discounts! :)

• Members

I play 2-3 times a week (not including practice) and I have all of my basses strung with Elixers. I like the sound and it lasts for a long time, the feel of the string takes a bit to get used too but for how long they last for me there well worth it.

Two of my basses have had the same Elixer strings on them for almost two years.

• Members

I love Elixir strings, and at one point had all my basses wearing them. When I started using a pick recently I had to change to non coated brands, and I'm spending a LOT more money now than I ever was with the Elixir's. So whoever is complaining about them being expensive, realize that in the long run they will actually save you money.

They do have a very good tone, and seem to sound great on all the basses I've tried them with. Very full, even, well balanced, and stable. They do not die, the tone just keeps on going. Right now I have my Schecter and Gibson strung with the Nanowebs, and they both sound and feel great. Best strings I've ever tried, and I sure wish I could use them without a pick shredding the coating.

Archived