Convince me to buy a Modulus (or talk me out of it)

Taustin Powers

• Members

I was always kind of hesitant about graphite necks, cause I played some Status basses many years ago in a store, and they sounded kind of sterile to me. So I always just pretty much thought that graphite is not for me, I'm a wood guy (hardy har...), and never gave it a second thought.

After having neck problems with my Read custom for years (long story, some may remember...), I kind of got the crazy idea that maybe I would like something with a stable neck that doesn't make me tune the strings every time I unpack it in a different room (:mad:).

I played a Modulus at BassNW a few years ago, just because it was there, I had never actually seen one in person, and I was curious. I was pleasantly surprised at the sound of it. But not at all in the market for a bass at the time, so I left it at that.

Now the idea of a stable neck seems more and more appealing to me. And I've been reading good things about the Modulus tone, especially with Barts and the Chechen wood fingerboard.

Anyone have a Modulus like that and can just tell me about it a little, describe the tone (subjective, I know), what you like about it, what you don't etc.?

They have a pretty nice looking one at Planet Bass. Problem is, I live in Germany, so the whole "order it, and return it if I don't like it" is slightly more complex of an issue than if I lived in the US. It's the only 4 string model with Barts and a Chechen board I have found so far, and with the current exchange rate it might be worth looking into...but I'm really still in the beginning stages of Modulus GAS, so more time and extensive research will happen. (This is part if it. :) )

Thanks for any input!

EDIT: I just realized the bass on Bass Planet is a 35" scale....isn't that rather unusual for a 4 string? How does this affect the tone/playability?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have one graphite necked bass (a Steinberger). Yes, it's stable. But so is my custom 5-stringer with 9-piece wenge/purpleheart neck. So is my buddy's 5-string Curbow Petite. You don't necessarily "need" a graphite neck if stability is your primary concern.

Now the idea of a stable neck seems more and more appealing to me. And I've been reading good things about the Modulus tone, especially with Barts and the Chechen wood fingerboard.

One solution would be to pick up a Modulus or Moses bolt-on neck. The price ranges from $400-800. Get one with a standard Fender fitment and stick it on a P-Bass or J-Bass. If you don't like it, you can always find someone who'll buy it off of you.

Emre

• Members

I just checked the Moses website a few minutes ago. Looks like stock replacement J-Bass, P-Bass, and MM/G&L necks are just $370 USD:

MJ-144.jpgMM-144.jpg

That strikes me as a really good deal. This is about what a finished Warmoth neck would cost you. Seems like a very inexpensive and low-risk way to see if graphite necks are right for you.

Emre

• Members

None of my basses have grapphite necks and they are all extremely stable. I have tune them once every month or so. Of course the SB2 recently went out of whack but normally I don't have to every touch my basses. Sucks you had such a {censored}ty experience.

Dan

Tis a bit different on stage though isn't it, with the heat ;)

• Members

Tis a bit different on stage though isn't it, with the heat
;)

Nope..well at least not with the SB2. I don't know about the Warwick yet or the Ric but I think it's more of how hard you play could be throwing people out of tune. I am not a rough player so I don't normally have tuning problems.

Dan

• Members

I have a Q5. It's a really great bass. I always seems to be my go-to bass for anything. I never worry about it not sounding good, or not playing good...because it's so stable the setup never really changes. It sits very well in the mix, all of my band prefers its sound to any of the other basses...even though I slightly prefer my Stingrays. It's just an all around great bass.

All of the songs on my bands myspace were recorded with my Q5...so you can listen to one in action if you like. Of course everything is mixed and mastered, but we didn;t do too much with the bass. It's bass-->preamp-->DI--->board

• Members

Nope..well at least not with the SB2. I don't know about the Warwick yet or the Ric but I think it's more of how hard you play could be throwing people out of tune. I am not a rough player so I don't normally have tuning problems.

Dan

I play very hard, due to lots of built up sexual frustration imo :mad:

• Members

both the modulus flea 5 and the VJ4 i owned had the graphite necks and i liked them. with the right amp combo, they didn't sound as sterile, but through a regular bland solid-state amp they sounded pretty flat. i loved the graphite because of how stable they were though, only had to tune 'em once and they were good for months! (if i kept them that long? hmm)

• Members

There are no reasons NOT to buy one.

If you're worried about the alleged and untrue "sterile" thing, get one with a chechen fretboard like mine. Sounds better than even the stock/phenolic ones.

Put it this way- I just got rid of a Wal 5 b/c it wasn't getting playing time vs. the Q5. ;)

• Members

Mine has a phenolic and it sounds like pure butter. Tons of cut, plenty warm for my tastes, thumpy, and the neck is mega quick.

The tuners on mine kinda suck and my strings are new, so I'm still losing a tiny bit of tune every so often (usually 1/4 to 1/8th of a step in between playings), but the action never changes and that's what's important to me - tuning takes seconds, action fixes take a lot longer.

• Members

Mine has a phenolic and it sounds like pure butter. Tons of cut, plenty warm for my tastes, thumpy, and the neck is mega quick.

The tuners on mine kinda suck and my strings are new, so I'm still losing a tiny bit of tune every so often (usually 1/4 to 1/8th of a step in between playings), but the action never changes and that's what's important to me - tuning takes seconds, action fixes take a lot longer.

I play my 94 Q5 which is stock w/ phenolic board at church, and it sounds amazing. I always get compliments from my bandmates, even if people FOH don't hear it loud enough!!

• Members

I have my Q6 with a thru neck and a different electronics setup than most. I don't have to tune it unless I have new strings on it, or I've adjusted the tuning to practice to a cd or something. The "sterile" sound that you refer to just isn't the case from my perspective. I can make it sound piano like or very warm and meaty. The pricing is the only drawback I can see in your case, but if you have the funds and are willing to spend them, then I don't think you'd be disappointed... 2c...

• Members

Looks like I'm gonna go for it. Tony put it on hold for me for a few days.

This is the bass in question:

http://www.planetbass.com/slides/Q4FigBubinga.htm

He said that if I don't like it, I could return it to him for a refund. However, I would be out shipping charges and customs fees, so I might be better off selling it here in Europe. Gonna go do some research on the resell value here, just in case...

• Members

Dan

i play hard (been called ape/bear like) and i never have tuning problems.

i always put it down to the fact i tune UP to drop B in my band

• Members

Looks like I'm gonna go for it. Tony put it on hold for me for a few days.

This is the bass in question:

http://www.planetbass.com/slides/Q4FigBubinga.htm

He said that if I don't like it, I could return it to him for a refund. However, I would be out shipping charges and customs fees, so I might be better off selling it here in Europe. Gonna go do some research on the resell value here, just in case...

Bubinga + chechen = arguably best sounding Modulus available. You're going to laugh when you get it for thinking you'd ever not like it! :thu:

Archived