Need Help Choosing Which Bass To Buy!

gljerry

• Members

I certainly wouldn't say they are done with a p bass anymore...

Maybe not. Be I have read time after time in interviews with bassists in BP Magazine they use this bass or that bass playing out. But when they record they use a Fender and most often it's a P Bass.

• Members

I think I wan't a variax 700, here's why:

I hear it's built / plays really well,

It models 25 of the most importaint basses.

It comes with a DI box.

It's on sale everywhere for $500 right now. Used to be $1,200. $1,600 list!

It 's got great reviews pretty much everywhere, If it's good for $1,200 It'll be damn good for $500.

Like I said, I wont be playing It live and I'm not a huge bass player so for recording this seems like a killer deal.

It sounds like you already know what you want. Go for it. I'm thinking as a guitar player you'll probably dig it more than a one trick pony like a P.

And before all the P players jump down my throat, keep in mind P bass is my electric mainstay.

• Members
that looks like a pretty cool bass, how do they play/sound tho?

it plays great and sounds fine stock.

put it this way..... I wanted a Jazz bass. I bought a Fender Geddy Lee. while it was a great bass I took it back, tried a few MIM Fender Jazz Basses and a few squiers. ended up buying the SX Jazz in the picture below and have no regrets.

My main Bass and the bass that still feels like Butta in my hands is my Ric but the SX is a great everyday gig worthy bass for less than 200 bucks.

this bass is bone stock out of the box. I play it through an Ampeg B100R. it sounds and feels much better than the SX P bass I have which is unbound and has dot markers.

the other advantage of the J for you as a guitar player is the narrower neck than that of a P bass.

SXJazzbass006.jpg

• Members
it plays great and sounds fine stock.

put it this way..... I wanted a Jazz bass. I bought a Fender Geddy Lee. while it was a great bass I took it back, tried a few MIM Fender Jazz Basses and a few squiers. ended up buying the SX Jazz in the picture below and have no regrets.

My main Bass and the bass that still feels like Butta in my hands is my Ric but the SX is a great everyday gig worthy bass for less than 200 bucks.

this bass is bone stock out of the box. I play it through an Ampeg B100R. it sounds and feels much better than the SX P bass I have which is unbound and has dot markers.

the other advantage of the J for you as a guitar player is the narrower neck than that of a P bass.

SXJazzbass006.jpg

That is a really nice bass.

Beautiful! ;)

I want one.

• Members
I want one.

Ive got a 5-string version...

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0032.jpg

They were in stock at Rondo for like a week before selling out :eek: I jumped on one as soon as they hit the website.

I defretted mine then gave it a proper set-up, replaced the pots/wiring/jack with a kit from Stew-Mac, and swapped on Moog-style knobs. The slots were filled in with mahogany wood putty then the board got several coats of urethane varnish.

My total investment (including shipping and parts) was around $250 or so. That's about what a used MIM Jazz or new Squier Afinity would cost you.

Emre

• Members

They were in stock at Rondo for like a week before selling out
:eek:
I jumped on one as soon as they hit the website.

I defretted mine then gave it a proper set-up, replaced the pots/wiring/jack with a kit from Stew-Mac, and swapped on Moog-style knobs. The slots were filled in with mahogany wood putty then the board got several coats of urethane varnish.

My total investment (including shipping and parts) was around $250 or so. That's about what a used MIM Jazz or new Squier Afinity would cost you.

Emre

sweet.... that headstock looks like you could hurt someone with that hook!

lol

• Moderators
I wonder if some of you guys have ever actually
played
any Line6 stuff!

I owned a Bass POD XT Pro. It was built nicely and the menus were easy to follow. As far as the sounds it was a steaming pile of cow dung. So much so that you couldn't pay me to take a Line 6 bass or guitar off the wall, because I wouldn't believe you that the modeling sounds as good as the real thing.:)

• Members

I owned a Bass POD XT Pro. It was built nicely and the menus were easy to follow. As far as the sounds it was a steaming pile of cow dung.

I guess it depends on what you're using it for. I've got a Bass PODxt myself. It's great for recording. I get much better sounds out of it than anything else I've tried. Of course, I'm not really set up to record with a mic'ed Ampeg SVT and 8x8 going full blast in my apartment. The Bass POD gets me as close as I'm going to get in the real world.

The presets are all complete garbage. But once you scrap them all and start from scratch, you can get some amazing bass tones on tape. However, it really sucks as an "effect pedal." Put a Bass POT into the front of an amp and it sucks big time. But that's no surprise: it's a recording tool.

Emre

• Members

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0032.jpg

They were in stock at Rondo for like a week before selling out
:eek:
I jumped on one as soon as they hit the website.

Emre

Grabs stomach.

I am having a GAS attack.

Love the 5 banger. :thu::thu::thu:

• Members
Grabs stomach.

I am having a GAS attack.

Love the 5 banger.
:thu::thu::thu:

Lol. Sadly, it looks like I'm selling that bass. :cry:

I'm moving to Istanbul, Turkey and I can only take 1 bass with me. I've been playing fretless exclusively for some time now. But I find I much prefer a 4-string. I never use the B-string on any of my basses.

So, I'm going to sell that modded 5-string SX Jazz fretless (not that it's worth much) and my Steinberger XQ-5 to start with. I'm trying to pull the $$$ together to pick up a 4-string Pedulla Buzz before I leave.

Emre

Archived