Need Help Choosing Which Bass To Buy!

gljerry

• Members

Hello everyone here on the Bass forums I am a guitarist/singer looking for my first bass to throw down some bass tracks. I only need it for recording and will never be playing it live. And I dont want to spend a lot.

I think I wan't a variax 700, here's why:

I hear it's built / plays really well,

It models 25 of the most importaint basses.

It comes with a DI box.

It's on sale everywhere for $500 right now. Used to be $1,200. $1,600 list!

It 's got great reviews pretty much everywhere, If it's good for $1,200 It'll be damn good for $500.

I'm thinking a Mexican Fender or Korean Spector or Schecter will be the same quality with WAY less versitility and an unfinished neck.

You guys agree? Should I grab on of these?

Like I said, I wont be playing It live and I'm not a huge bass player so for recording this seems like a killer deal.

• Members

I dont really like unfinished necks. A little lacquer feels better, (to me)

I'm the total opposite. An unfinished neck is like a Ferrari. Nice, fast, sleek. A finished neck is like a school bus. Slow, ugly, sluggish.

I've never played the Variax, but I've heard good things about them as well. I would get one with the POD XT or X3 as well, so you can actually take advantage of everything it can do.

If it were me, I'm not sure what I would do.

• Members

For recording purposes? Why not? I think it would be a great tool for you. I personally think the basses were merely adequate, but it may have been a set-up issue.

The Variax and Pods get some great tones and I can just imagine how valuable a tool they would be in the studio, just don't use them live.

• Members

Variax: Id buy it. Record. Then take it back to guitar center and get your money back! Ok looking, but c'mon. $500 is too much to spend if you dont plan on being a bass player. Variax sucks anyway!

MIM Fender: Get it. Upgrade it. Take care of it. Keep it forever, be nice to it and it'll be nice to you. Most versitile by far!

Schector:Never tried their guitars or basses. All I can say is ive heard good things.

Spector:I own one. Not sure what model, but i know its under $400. super long neck, not the prettiest IMO, but it sounds PHAT!!! Mine has high tension, but I like it. Not as versitile as the Fender. Slightly Cheaper. Old rocker guys will ask you "what is that a Washburn?".

Epi SG's: ok. small. not that versitile for recording, but looks cool and is kinda cheap.

Peavy:Peavy makes some nice basses. Go to a pawn shop and youll more than likely come across one or two. Older ones rule, Newer ones are ok. Get an old, heavy, ugly one. They sound awesome!

Ibanez:dont even stop and look at the lower end Ibanez basses, keep looking. Unless its the Artcore, not sure if you like semi-hollow, but it sounds good.

Gretsch:they make a cool little cheap short scale. $250.

or:borrow a bass from a friend or someone you know. Cheaper, more logical.

or:] get a bass player.

• Members

I wonder if some of you guys have ever actually played any Line6 stuff! I've got extensive experience with the Variax guitar. Sure, it looks and feels like a Korean guitar. But once you give at a basic set-up, it plays VERY well. And the tones are, frankly, phenomenal. You can get much better tones from the Variax than any number of "real" guitars. The Gretch, '59 Les Paul, and Les Paul Junior sounds are unbelievably good.

I've never played a Variax bass, but if it's anything like the guitar, I'd snap one up in an instant. The only thing that's kept me from buying one is that they were so expensive...well, that and the fact that I pretty much only play fretless nowadays.

If you can get one for only $500, I wouldn't hesitate.

Emre

• Members

I wonder if some of you guys have ever actually
played
any Line6 stuff! I've got extensive experience with the Variax guitar. Sure, it looks and feels like a Korean guitar. But once you give at a basic set-up, it plays VERY well. And the tones are, frankly, phenomenal. You can get much better tones from the Variax than any number of "real" guitars. The Gretch, '59 Les Paul, and Les Paul Junior sounds are unbelievably good.

I've never played a Variax bass, but if it's anything like the guitar, I'd snap one up in an instant. The only thing that's kept me from buying one is that they were so expensive...well, that and the fact that I pretty much only play fretless nowadays.

Emre

+1

My only problem with it, is that it doesn't have an identity.

• Members

I wonder if some of you guys have ever actually
played
any Line6 stuff! I've got extensive experience with the Variax guitar. Sure, it looks and feels like a Korean guitar. But once you give at a basic set-up, it plays VERY well. And the tones are, frankly, phenomenal. You can get much better tones from the Variax than any number of "real" guitars. The Gretch, '59 Les Paul, and Les Paul Junior sounds are unbelievably good.

Emre

I did play a Variax bass for a few minutes. As a bass, yes, after a set-up it could physically be a decent bass.

My last guitarist used a Pod XT live, and I swear, I'd never play in a band with someone using a pod ever again.

Like I said, as a recording tool, they would be fantastic, but please, not live.

• Members

Hello everyone here on the Bass forums I am a guitarist/singer looking for my first bass to throw down some bass tracks. I only need it for recording and will never be playing it live. And I dont want to spend a lot.

I think I wan't a variax 700, here's why:

I hear it's built / plays really well,

It models 25 of the most importaint basses.

It comes with a DI box.

It's on sale everywhere for $500 right now. Used to be $1,200. $1,600 list!

It 's got great reviews pretty much everywhere, If it's good for $1,200 It'll be damn good for $500.

I'm thinking a Mexican Fender or Korean Spector or Schecter will be the same quality with WAY less versitility and an unfinished neck.

You guys agree? Should I grab on of these?

Like I said, I wont be playing It live and I'm not a huge bass player so for recording this seems like a killer deal.

you want a killer deal?

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb753ts.html

get that

you know how the guys at the Electric Guitar forum rave about the Agile Les Pauls?

this is the same here at the Bass forum. the SX is a great bass for what you need it for....

• Members

I did play a Variax bass for a few minutes. As a bass, yes, after a set-up it could physically be a decent bass.

My last guitarist used a Pod XT live, and I swear, I'd never play in a band with someone using a pod ever again.

Like I said, as a recording tool, they would be fantastic, but please, not live.

I use a line6 guitarport for recording stuff. Incredibly limited recording program, but the modeling program has its perks. Needs major tweeking to sound good, though.

• Members

Variax give you lots of problems, lots of the people who bought them at the store near me are returning them or having them fixed ofte... youve got lots of (most of which, IMO, innacurate) sound options, but if theres a problem with any of it, you'll have a problem with all of them.....

i think they play like crap, and that theyre not very well build.... i played both the basses and the guitars and i hated them... yuck...

Archived