How does a band get off the ground?

Brother Mango

• Members

My drummer & I met with a guitarist yesterday and we think he's a good fit. Now we've got the core of a band (wanna add a keyboard player at some point).

I've been in other bands and joined projects that had already been in motion long before I came along. Today, here's me as a bandleader in a band that didn't exist 3 days ago.

Now I start thinking about how to determine when it's time to start looking for gigs. We don't want to gig too soon, and go present sloppy stuff to the public. But I know of some bands that get stuck in the rehearsal space.

Should our goal & practice time be about preparing a set?

Right now we have 2 original songs that we play from start to finish. Then I've got about a dozen other chunks of songs that need to be developed & arranged. We've messed around with a couple of covers.

One thing I envision is playing few songs during a set and engaging the audience more. Where one band might play 10 songs, with little interaction between the songs, I'd rather play 6 songs and act as the host of a party.

I've got a vision, but wonder about the appropriate ways to make it happen ... and make it happen at the appropriate pace. We don't even have a name--and I don't know when it would be appropriate to have that discussion.

What are some of your stories about getting a band off the ground?

• Members

i think people should always find people that they trust for the band... if it feels great to play with them, then i believe you'll know when you're ready or not...

as for putting up the show is all about the kinda music you play, going along with the emotional bagage of the music, the kind of ambience you want to set up for all that stuff.... and yes, i believe interaction with the crowd is extremely important...

• Members

I'd say hit up open mics and play what you have so far to get your name out there a wee bit.

Make sure you finish an entire set before you book a gig, or book it far enough in advance you'll be able to get it together in time. Have at least 10 songs available. Some clubs wont like you only playing 6 tunes and chatting the rest of the time, some will be fine with it as long as people are drinking.

This is how Killbillies got to where they were. We played together a few times, went to hit up the Saturday afternoon jam to meet other musicians in town and voila, got a gig out of it. That gig turned into another and another etc.

• Moderators

Focus rehearsals on getting a set. Not a final set, but a first performance set. If it takes some covers to take the pressure off coming up with 10 originals, that is not an issue. In the meantime, use open mics to get some experience playing live together and seeing how the crowd is reacting to your music. You need a name before booking shows. There is no bad time to start thinking about a name.

• Members

For what it is worth, unless you have an amazingly engaging frontman, dead time between songs can kill a set. I'd much rather see 10 solid songs with no talking than 6 songs with another cookie cutter frontman saying "Is everybody having a good time?" "Who here's been drinking" ect. That instantly kills a band in my eyes.

• Members

For what it is worth, unless you have an amazingly engaging frontman, dead time between songs can kill a set. I'd much rather see 10 solid songs with no talking than 6 songs with another cookie cutter frontman saying "Is everybody having a good time?" "Who here's been drinking" ect. That instantly kills a band in my eyes.

+1. I like a band who's music speaks for them personally. In fact my favorite shows have been bands who just transition from song to song seamlessly.

Dan

• Members

Great advice so far! Thanks!!

Let me clarify one thing:

I don't envision the music ever stopping. Yes: transition from one song to another without breaks in the music.

I want to get away from, "here's my song about my train ride to Georgia."

Then play the 4min song. Then, "Now here's my song about what Times Square used to be." Then play the 4min song. Etc. Etc.

So, no, I don't think of 6 songs with some kind of stand-up routine in between.

A friend's band took maybe 10min to introduce it's 5 members. He started the set by inviting the audience to go on a backyard cookout. All the while a hot groove was happening.

The groove settled in and the leader turned toward the drummer and said something like, "Brian is back there on the drums! Yo' what are you bringing to the cookout?" The drummer shouted, "cole slaw!"

Along the way, there's a unison lick that the band does every 16 measures. But there's a cue that they're watching for, telling them to do that lick two measures in a row before starting a new 16.

I found it a fantastic use of 10min. It's basically stealing a page from James Brown. I think of James out front with the groove cooking, and he turns to the guitar player and asks if he can borrow $5.

That kind of thing goes on for a couple of minutes, then they return to the song, end it and transition to the next song.

I can imagine things like:

Start off a cover, and mid-way thru the chorus make it seem like something is off. Everyone stops playing and someone says, "I'm tired of playing it that way. Let's try it this way ..." Then kick the song off in some totally different way. (I was in a band that did a reggae version of a Tom Waits song.)

These are the ways that I mean "host a party." Personally, 10 songs in an hour set feels overwhelming when I'm in the audience. I can't say why, but it feels more enjoyable to be taken on a backyard cookout, or ... I think of Victor Wooten's show when they're playing a groove, and Vic starts calling out numbers, "5!" Then the band plays in 5/4 for a while. Then Vic calls out "11!" it goes on like that for a while and the audience seems really engaged.

Feels like there are so many things that a band can do in addition to playing songs. These are things that aren't going to be on a CD. A person has to be present in an audience to experience these things.

• Members

+1. I like a band who's music speaks for them personally. In fact my favorite shows have been bands who just transition from song to song seamlessly.

Dan

+1. Rarely are you going to get by with a lot of talking. People want to dance and drink.

My band does best playing 12-15 songs a set. Dance floor stays packed, we sell a lot of booze, and that's how we stay booked 3 weekends a month year around. (we have one off a month for new stuff)

What's really cool is to start playing what is on the juke box/DJ when we return to stage after break. What ever is playing, if we know it, we slide into it and take over from there.

• Members

You will need to pace yourself, only you will know what works. Talking TOO much can kill a gig, I think. Six songs in a set sounds REAL thin, unless you are in an art-rock/jam band, and hw fun can THAT be for an audience??

Play out AS MUCH as you can, wherever. It helps to determine your audience and where you should play, or not play.

Practice, but don't be a band that practices a ridiculous amount, since so much crap happens at gigs in front of people that a practice room will never teach you.

Do NOT get discouraged, you will have some off gigs. LEARN from them, ANYTHING!

Finally, have a critical eye about yourselves. It is not always the club's fault, or the audience's. Though it can very well be!:)

• Members

You will need to pace yourself, only you will know what works. Talking TOO much can kill a gig, I think. Six songs in a set sounds REAL thin, unless you are in an art-rock/jam band, and how fun can THAT be for an audience??

Agreed.

This is a jam band.

Not a whole lot of talking, but some attention put toward a full performance, and not just a set list.

• Members

+2

Bang out a set of amazing tunes and nothing else will matter.

• Members

This thread combined with BassGirl9's thread is turning into more interesting topics.

What is it that makes for a good, worthwhile show? I haven't been in a band that put much thought into the show. Once, we got a gig and we had to fill 3 hours. We had about an hour's worth of music and went scrambling to learn covers. But I bet we could have milked a few songs and put on a great show.

Am I alone in feeling that the format of "song after song after song" is dull? Is it criminal for a local band to steal showmanship ideas from Prince, James Brown, Les Claypool, Morris Day, etc.?

Someone once said, "you can dress for the job you've got, or dress for the job you want." So, why not dress for that House of Blues job?

• Members

Agreed.

This is a jam band.

Not a whole lot of talking, but some attention put toward a full performance, and not just a set list.

That's cool, then it IS a jam band!

I am in the opposite situation. We play 50s and early 60s rock, so we plow through 15 songs and only 35 minutes have passed!!! I have thought about talking to the guys and maybe having two guitar solos in a song or repeating a verse, but I kind of like how lean the songs are.

A jam band is different, I don't know, never been in one, I guess you can do things like call out different time signatures and stuff!! Can people dance to that?

• Members

If you're an originals-oriented band, get yourself an hour set with a few covers mixed in before you book a legit gig.

Then, after you have 3 songs that are even quasi-tight, go play an open stage. It's amazing how many songs that are incredible in the practice room don't translate well to a stage. You can make adjustments to tunes after you've put them to a stage to make them more stage-worthy.

Once you have 9 or 10 tunes (assuming 45-60 minute sets), record 5 or 6 of them, put up a MySpace site, burn a few to CD, and go book yourself an opening slot somewhere. Gigging will inspire the band.

Promote Promote Promote Promote.

I disputed this theory with Myth Lab before we started gigging, because they thought I wanted to gig too soon, even though we had 9 tight songs. My point was, I'd rather go play some weeknight gigs and fail a little bit than sit in the basement and be the tightest band on the planet. IMO, a gig is worth 5 rehearsals, especially if you can record it. You can't possibly replicate the stage experience without the lights, the volume, the crowd, and the nervousness, those are things a band can't rehearse for, you have to just go do it.

Start small, think big. Gig as soon as you have enough material to do so, waiting around makes little sense if you can nail everything in the practice room every time.

C7

• Members

If you're an originals-oriented band, get yourself an hour set with a few covers mixed in before you book a legit gig.

Then, after you have 3 songs that are even quasi-tight, go play an open stage. It's amazing how many songs that are incredible in the practice room don't translate well to a stage. You can make adjustments to tunes after you've put them to a stage to make them more stage-worthy.

Once you have 9 or 10 tunes (assuming 45-60 minute sets), record 5 or 6 of them, put up a MySpace site, burn a few to CD, and go book yourself an opening slot somewhere. Gigging will inspire the band.

I disputed this theory with Myth Lab before we started gigging, because they thought I wanted to gig too soon, even though we had 9 tight songs. My point was, I'd rather go play some weeknight gigs and fail a little bit than sit in the basement and be the tightest band on the planet. IMO, a gig is worth 5 rehearsals, especially if you can record it. You can't possibly replicate the stage experience without the lights, the volume, the crowd, and the nervousness, those are things a band can't rehearse for, you have to just go do it.

Start small, think big. Gig as soon as you have enough material to do so, waiting around makes little sense if you can nail everything in the practice room every time.

C7

GOOD advice! I know I also said something like this, but there is NOTHING like playing in front of people to get tight and to get direction. Of course you want to have a vision, but what an audience thinks DOES matter.

Get out in front of people. If the sound on stage sucks, too bad, tough it out. That will happen!!!

We played last week at a local club, sound was ok, but we could not hear our vocals, no matter what we told the sound guy. THAT is where practice helps. But the experience helped us on how to handle that situation in front of a bunch of people wanting to be entertained and who could give a hoot about our sound "issues."

• Members

That's cool, then it IS a jam band!

I am in the opposite situation. We play 50s and early 60s rock, so we plow through 15 songs and only 35 minutes have passed!!! I have thought about talking to the guys and maybe having two guitar solos in a song or repeating a verse, but I kind of like how lean the songs are.

A jam band is different, I don't know, never been in one, I guess you can do things like call out different time signatures and stuff!! Can people dance to that?

People can't easily dance to 11/8 but it stands as something that Victor Wooten did as effective showmanship for what Vic does.

My group is a funk-based and wants to keep bodies moving.

Maybe my showmanship would be to introduce the band as a bunch of nasty ex-cons, and ask them what they did that was so nasty. Then have them take a long nasty solo. That could take up the space of a song or two.

• Members

C7

Excellent! Excellent. Excellent!!! Thanks!

Archived