Warm,thick 'n' meaty + Drop D clipping

mikgag

• Members

...and I'm not talking about BOALG's mom.

Issue #1

Warm,thick and meaty.

Ampeg's do it

Ashdown's do it.

Any crappy amp with a BDDI does it.

Any other amps that can pull this off? I've read that the new Kustoms might be able to. I think my Ashdown might going wonky/starting to die on me.

Issue #2

I'm in 2 bands.

Band #1 plays standard EADG and my amp (MAG300) is great and doesn't clip. Band #2 plays drop D and at least 2-3 times during the night when riding the D, I'm getting that voice coil against the magnet "clack" that makes me cringe. Cab is a brand new Avatar Neo 2x12 with the newer Eminence LF Neos. If I turn down the bass on the EQ to try and stop it, I lose alot of volume.

I've also posted this in "the other forum" to get more responses, so if ya see it twice, I apologize.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Members

...and I'm not talking about BOALG's mom.

Issue #1

Warm,thick and meaty.

Ampeg's do it

Ashdown's do it.

Any crappy amp with a BDDI does it.

Any other amps that can pull this off? I've read that the new Kustoms might be able to. I think my Ashdown might going wonky/starting to die on me.

Issue #2

I'm in 2 bands.

Band #1 plays standard EADG and my amp (MAG300) is great (when it works right) and doesn't clip. Band #2 plays drop D and at least 2-3 times during the night when riding the D, I'm getting that voice coil against the magnet "clack" that makes me cringe. Cab is a brand new Avatar Neo 2x12 with the newer Eminence LF Neos. If I turn down the bass on the EQ to try and stop it, I lose alot of volume.

Is this the preamp clipping out or the power section? Do I just need more headroom? Anyone else have this issue playing drop D or should I just take a sledgehammer to my amp (hence question #1)

I've also posted this in "the other forum" to get more responses, so if ya see it twice, I apologize.

:mad:

if you play really low and use a 2x10 cab, which are cabs that dont generally handle lows well, that might be your problem... you should get a 4x10 or a 1x15 in addition to that... i doubt you'd still have any problems...

• Members

if you play really low and use a 2x10 cab, which are cabs that dont generally handle lows well, that might be your problem... you should get a 4x10 or a 1x15 in addition to that... i doubt you'd still have any problems...

I'm using a brand new 2x12.....

• Members

oh sorry, i misread it!

have you tried the same bass with other setups?

I'm planning on it, just haven't had time yet. Figured I'd post first. I'm thinking the solution to my problems might be a GK 700rbII and a Sansamp when needed.

• Members

I'm planning on it, just haven't had time yet. Figured I'd post first. I'm thinking the solution to my problems might be a GK 700rbII and a Sansamp when needed.

Gallien-Krueger :love::love::love:

that will definitly fix any problem :love::love::love:

but for about 120$ more, get a 1001RBII :cool: lots more headroom, even if you dont use all the power :p

• CMS Author

If it sounds like the voice coil is hitting, it may be. It does sound as if you're exceeding a spec in that cabinet.

Be sure the cone isn't actually hitting a close part of the grille. And check polarity to be sure you're not driving the cone back into the gap instead of out. Wouldn't be the first time I've found a cable or cabinet miswired.

And I don't know how much power you're putting into that 2x12, but IMO Avatar doesn't rate their cabinets very well. They seem to simply use the speaker rating provided by Eminence. That's fine for mids and highs, but for bass speakers the cabinet design has to be taken into consideration and few vented cabinets would allow you to use full power long term at low frequency and give reasonable life expectancy.

Oh, and :mad::mad:

• Members

Well I should hope not. That cab is rated at 500 watts.

Watts are watts...whether they come from a tube amp or a SS amp...

... I'm not sure where you came from, but you seem to have a bit of an attitude and some disinformation.

I've been around much, much longer than my post count or join date would suggest, friend, so let's not start another "Watt" debate or anything else...

• Members

If it is using the eminence basslite listed on their site, it is rated at 150rms, 300 peak. A 2-12 would have a 300 watt rms rating. Your amp is putting out 300 watts rms. I could not find specs for your cab, but, it is also possible that you are putting too much output below the tuning freq. and the cab may be unloading making your speakers more susceptible to over excursion.

Oh, and watts are watts, 300 SS watts are still more than 200 tube watts.

• Members

Oh, and watts are watts, 300 SS watts are still more than 200 tube watts.

C'mon, we've been through this so many times. Bass amp watts aren't watts... a Genz Benz watt =/= Behringer watt =/= Sunn watt

Sure, that cab might be rated to handle 300 watts of a sine wave at 760 Hz, but we all know the real world doesn't work like that.

• Members

... I'm not sure where you came from, but you seem to have a bit of an attitude and some disinformation.

I've been around much, much longer than my post count or join date would suggest, friend, so let's not start another "Watt" debate or anything else...

What? I'm more confused about this post than any of the others. Are you being sarcastic, or serious?

I could care less about how long you've been around, or how many posts you've got.

What disinformation? Explain...

• Members

what is the tuning of that cab?, the deep switch (don't know if he uses it or not), is an 8db boost at 50hz., I have no idea what the "Q" is., the low EQ is set at +/- 15db. at 100hz. As to the power situation, if he is getting the click from speaker over excursion, the answer is not more power.

• CMS Author

If you want to claim that one company rated their power differently, or is more or less honest (let's just say "optimistic") or conservative than another, that's a valid argument. But simply stating that "tube" watts are different than "solid state" watts is wrong and misleading.

• Members

what is the tuning of that cab?, the deep switch (don't know if he uses it or not), is an 8db boost at 50hz., I have no idea what the "Q" is., the low EQ is set at +/- 15db. at 100hz. As to the power situation, if he is getting the click from speaker over excursion, the answer is not more power.

The bass is set at noon and I do have the deep switch in. I'll try clicking it out next jam.

• Members

And I think the OP speaks for itself, given that the clipping is occuring in Drop D and not in normal... or does going to drop D somehow push more watts into the cab?
;)

In this case drop d will not deliver more watts than standard tuning. as the boost and low eq are closer to the E's 41hz. than the d's 36 hz. But eq settings can and will cause more power to be delivered if their freq. is boosted.

The OP states, no problems in standard tuning and problems in drop D tuning, it would seem that the problem should be related to the cabinets power handling at the drop d tuning frequencies.

• Members

Another possibility, although unlikely, if the bass has exposed pole pieces, is there any possibility that the reduced string tension in drop d tuning is causing the string to contact the pole piece.

I just thought of this about 2 minutes ago. I can try lowering my pups a little. They're G&L MFDs, so the output shouldn't be affected that much.

• Members

That was my arguement, Craigv

I agree with the resonant theory, I noticed my avatar cabs are big on D :D

And no, "guitargod," I was being serious, you seem to have a bad habit of talking down to and patronized forumites with just as much or more knowledge than yourself... apologies if you are simply trying to be helpful, but it does come across that ways sometimes.

• Members

And no, "guitargod," I was being serious, you seem to have a bad habit of talking down to and patronized forumites with just as much or more knowledge than yourself... apologies if you are simply trying to be helpful, but it does come across that ways sometimes.

I am trying to be helpful. Exactly where in this thread did I say anything that was talking him down or patronizing? In my first post, I gave a recommendation...just like the OP asked for. In my second post, I stated a fact from the manufacturers website about the cabs power handling capabilities, and then I stated a fact about wattage.

I do however see you as trying to patronize me with your "quotes." Sorry if I hurt your feelings by telling you that watts are watts. Saying otherwise is misinformation.

I accept your apology, and I'm sorry if I came off that way. There is really nothing in the this thread for me to be apologizing about though.

Archived