This is Stupid

D Aussie

• Members

For one reason or another I have had to be the geetar player in my band for the past year.

Ive been using a PodXT into a Eden Nemesis 2x10 and Ive been happy with the sound, but figgered that its time I bought a real geetar amp.

So I got a Fender Frontman 2x12 and it sounds great all by itself, but the minute I run the pod into this beast it sounds horrible!

I use several different patches in the Pod for 'my' sound, and I dont want to not be using it.

Is there any point me persevering with trying to get the Pod to sound good through a geetar amp or am I better off ditching thigeetar amp and going back to using a bass rig for geetar with a Pod?

• Members

I hate to say it, but if you were happy with your tone before, there's something to be said for keeping things the way they were.

Are you running a speaker sim into the Fender?

I know, I know... I feel that way now... Still, I can probably trade it in for what I paid for it.

Ive tried a few different configs.

Switching off speaker and amp sims and running with no amp, using just the "tube preamp" in the Pod.

And also bypassing the fenders pre entirely and jacking in at the power amp stage.

All of these give passable results, but not the brilliant ones I was expecting.

The really annoying thing, is that the amp sounds quite nice straight in.

Its loud and clean, and the dirty chanel is pretty good for a fenfer, too.

But once the pod joins in the game it all gets lots of feedback.:confused:

• Members

I know, I know... I feel that way now... Still, I can probably trade it in for what I paid for it.

Ive tried a few different configs.

Switching off speaker and amp sims and running with no amp, using just the "tube preamp" in the Pod.

And also bypassing the fenders pre entirely and jacking in at the power amp stage.

All of these give passable results, but not the brilliant ones I was expecting.

The really annoying thing, is that the amp sounds quite nice straight in.

Its loud and clean, and the dirty chanel is pretty good for a fenfer, too.

But once the pod joins in the game it all gets lots of feedback.
:confused:

If it sounds good without the pod, why use the pod at all? effects?

• Members

Are you running a line level signal into an instrument level input and overdriving it?

Ive dialled back the output gain so it is the same as when the geetar just goes straight in, so , thats about instrument level, isnt it?

If it sounds good without the pod, why use the pod at all? effects?

yeah, I like to use some pretty silly effects, partikkarly the compressor, noise gate, tremelo, delay and phaser.

Also I tend to switch between a souped up rockabilly sound, Cramps/Reverend Horton Heat, to a regular driven Marshall sound, AC/DC,

• Members

Mate, I reckon if you were happy with how it sounded through the nemy then just stick with it.

It's strange, but you are not the first guitarist I've heard of that prefers the sound of guitar through a nemy rig.

If this sound floats your boat, then I don't really see how a little guitard amp is going to keep up? Just stick with the nemy.

One guitar amp worth looking at is a Fenfer G-Dec. I've got one of the smaller ones but there is a new bigger one out with a foot switch that can give you all your crazy effects your looking for built in and they crank pretty loud too.

I use the smaller one at home for thrashing around on a geetar, but wish I had've waited for the newer footswitchable model. Also has your drum programs and artificial bassplayer built in for home use.........or sacking the rest of your band! :eek::lol:

• Members

And no wonder!

The "model" stuff sounds 1 million times better via a full-range speaker which the Eden is. A "plain guitar amp", no matter the bells and whistles, usually gives you one size speaker(in your case, 12's) that are limited in frequency response.

All of your great sounds in your POD were tweaked using the full range Eden right?

Even if you patch directly into the poweramp section(effects return? or AUX in) of the guitar amp, you will have to redo your patches to sound good on 12's.

The feedback, besides previous comments, may also be to the 12's and guitar amp being voiced to emphasize mids/highs(what a lot of geetarfolks like, cut through) and your POD current patches may be adding to those.

NOTE:

I've a Line 6 BODXTLive and have 2 complete sets of patches. One for BOSE PAS(used 90% of the time on small/medium venues) and the other set for ACME B2's or SWR Henry 8x8(medium to large stages with or without FOH). This was REQUIRED for me to get "my sounds" out of both systems/speakers, depending on which gig we have(thus which rig I'm on, I still want to sound like me). This WAS a time-consuming tweaking.

Unless you want to spend a LOT of time re-setting your POD for the 12's, I'd say go back to what you had. At least then you had a full range sound AND could play bass on it too if required!

• Members

I get what you are all saying, and I suppose part of me just wanted to have a geetar amp on stage for the looks.. (oh, the shame!:cry:)... but what has got me stuffed, is that, what are the chances of ANY geetar amp letting the pod do what it is supposed to do?

Mr J Crab, the patches I set up are sorted to go straight to a PA or the nemesis so, yeah, I understand about the speakers.

I tried doing things like switching off amp and cab sims, but the fact is, they sound real good and I dont want to lose them.

bikehorn, I understand you dont like them, and I wasnt much fussed neither, till I got this podxt and it sounds wicked thru a bass amp, which is what I had.

grunter... but I want to be a real geetar player with a real amp.

I guess I should just deal with it.

The amp sounds like a fender amp.

Im not gonna squeeze a JCM800 sound out of it, like I can with a PA or the Nemesis, its still just gonna want to sound like a Fenfer.

• Members

Ok, now we are cooking with gas.

I flicked the switch " what are you running into " over to DIRECT.

I re-aved my four favorite patches elsewhere and started modifying them to a sound I like.

Had to change cabinets, turn up some effects, turn dowen others, switch amp sims.

Ive kept the old patches and maybe I will get around to A/B them later.

Thanks JOhnny crab.

The FM100 does sound really nice!

Im just running straight in to the power amp and using the pod entirely as the pre, so it is kindof a waste having the 2 chanel on the FM100 doing nothing, I guess.

The POD sounds good again.

All is right with the world.

:idea:

• Members

Well, FWIW...

I dig the sound of my Reverend amp by itself.

The Reverend responds well to 'one trick' pedals I build.

I find the sound of my Boss ME30 MultiFX alright for direct recording (which I bought it for).

But when I plug the ME-30 into the Reverend, it sounds like total, unadulterated, greasy ASS.

Sometimes MultiFX just suck for live stuff.

Archived