OT: Car Sub advice- SUV guys/gals

RSBro

• Members

Anyways, I just plopped down a good bit of change to the get the Expedition bumpin' this weekend.

But it's not thumping. I had them replace the stock 8" driver on the driver's side in the back, but it just rattles the panels and doesn't hit or anything so it's kinda useless. My new Kappa components hit harder and louder to where you don't even hear the sub, even when cranked.

So, either a bandpass box or an enclosed or ported box is going to have to do. That way if I just have to have every square inch inside my vehicle, I can remove it when necessary and unplug it.

Punch is preferred (I am a bass player mind you! ;)) as opposed to just huge car filling SPLs that you get with rap and R&B, etc..

What are you guys running? I have a 200W Eclipse amp that drives the sub itself. Crutchfield is blowing out some what look to be nice boxes and drivers, and after taking advice from the Car Toys guys who installed it, I'm wary of what they're going to suggest...

• Members

are you powering your new sub with your eclipse amp in the factory enclosure? there is a lot going in the amplification for the factory sub that the new amp isn't doing, so i'm not surprised it isn't working out for you. i know this because i now work in OEM audio (instead of pro audio and MI).

i'd suggest you get a decent ported enclosure, and you'll probably want a more powerful amp. i am partial to JL, particular their W6 and W7 lines. for the sub and the box you're looking at $500+ from crutchfield, but well worth it since you have kappa components market. those are not cheap speakers. if that's too much, i'd still suggest sticking with JL. they're way better in my experience than the other brands that crutchfield sells.

robb.

• Members

are you powering your new sub with your eclipse amp in the factory enclosure? there is a lot going in the amplification for the factory sub that the new amp isn't doing, so i'm not surprised it isn't working out for you. i know this because i now work in OEM audio (instead of pro audio and MI).

i'd suggest you get a decent ported enclosure, and you'll probably want a more powerful amp. i am partial to JL, particular their W6 and W7 lines. for the sub and the box you're looking at $500+ from crutchfield, but well worth it since you have kappa components market. those are not cheap speakers. if that's too much, i'd still suggest sticking with JL. they're way better in my experience than the other brands that crutchfield sells.

robb.

Yeah, the Eclipse amp I have was from my F150 Supercab (cab and 1/2), where it powered a JL Audio 10" sub in a ProBox enclosure under the back bench seat. And DAYUM- did that thing thump! I had the bass control on my deck at about 2 or 3 (out of 10) and it would blow me out on an Eminem track or something. :) So, that's what I wanted to replicate. Was tight, fat and punchy everything I wanted.

But I'm interested to hear more about what you're saying regarding the factory sub? Looking at it now, it was an Alpine sub and looks to have been run in stereo, as weird as that sounds for a single 8" driver.

Regardless, it is pretty weak at this point as far as the sub performance goes.

I may look into a new amp for the Kappas as well, and just keep the Eclipse for the sub, because yeah- these components are pretty damn awesome. I can almost get all the bass I need even w/ the sub turned off!

I've been looking at these so far, this is just their page of subs w/ enclosures, so any advice or recommendations would be nice.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Group/ProductMenu.aspx?g=510&tp=112

• Members

I had 2 JL W0 10s back in the days. They rocked with Fosgate 500w. Eclipse makes great stuff. I really dig their headunits.

Yeah I think mine is actually a mono sub amp, so I don't think that 200W is right. I got it in 2005 and they've since revamped the line, so I'm seeing if I can find some info on it.

I REALLY am loving the JL W6/W7s, but that's a lot for one driver. :) You can buy nice basses for that much!

Archived