Question about Lakland Skylines

PaulyWally

• Members

I've often heard that Lakland does pretty extensive setups on their USA basses before they leave the factory... (including fret leveling/crowning, etc.)

I'm wondering what they do to their Skyline series (if anything) before shipping?

It is my understanding that they do. I'm not sure if they do full fret leveling or anything but they do take a bit of pride in the setups so they ship out in perfectly playable condition. I think Kindness knows exactly what they do.

Dan

• Members

I know they are set up in the US but I don't know how extensive they get. I can tell you that both of the Skylines that I have owned came set up perfectly.

+1

Both my Lakies came perfect out of the box. Great fit/finish, great fretwork, great action. :love:

• Members

OK, let me ask an unrelated question about Laklands and Skylines.

i was playing a Skyline 44-02 and a Lakland 55-94. both played beautifully.

however, the 3-way toggle did next to nothing on either bass, as best as i could tell/hear. neither did the pickup selctor knob (little discernable difference between the pickups), nor the treble cut/boost knob (no tonal difference, while the mid and bass boosts were fine).

i was playing through a Markbass combo with everything set flat.

both were used basses.

:confused::confused::confused:

was i missing something? i was rather disappointed, and turned down the deal on the Skyline after really playing with it.

also, have the Skylines always had Skyline printed on the headstock?

• Members

Grrrr. Grrrr.

I have a US and a Skyline. I also have spent a decent amount of time in the shop at Lakland. Do you have any specific questions?

Well... I've been keeping an eye on the USA Lakland Decade for a while now. But this morning I saw a Duck Dunn Skyline with Darkstars and fell into GAS-alactic shock. :love:

And it is quite a bit cheaper than the USA models.

That link answered just about all my questions. The only other thing, is trying to find a music store that stocks Laklands since I've yet to even try one. And I won't order one without trying out a few Laklands first.

• Moderators

i'm at work. no listening capabilities.

what could be wrong with the basses?

The preamp or the pickups. :idk: Honestly, without hearing it or getting inside of it, I simply don't know.

If you were interested in them, you could certainly get them back to full strength. It might cost a couple hundred bucks for a new preamp or it might be a couple of bucks to redo the wiring. You can always e-mail Lakland and see what they tell you. They are helpful guys.

• Moderators

Well... I've been keeping an eye on the USA Lakland Decade for a while now. But this morning I saw a Duck Dunn Skyline with Darkstars and fell into GAS-alactic shock.
:love:

And it is quite a bit cheaper than the USA models.

That link answered just about all my questions. The only other thing, is trying to find a music store that stocks Laklands since I've yet to even try one. And I won't order one without trying out a few Laklands first.

You can come play mine anytime. You can schedule a visit to the factory. You can come down here to go to Bass Club Chicago...

The DD is a P bass body with a J bass neck. Throw a Darkstar on there and you have an interesting bass. Not something completely crazy, but not boring.

• Members

You can come play mine anytime. You can schedule a visit to the factory. You can come down here to go to Bass Club Chicago...

Well... I am planning on driving down on the 1st. :thu:

The DD is a P bass body with a J bass neck. Throw a Darkstar on there and you have an interesting bass. Not something completely crazy, but not boring.

I attached an image of it.

• Members

I had the same problem when I was looking to buy a Lakland. No music stores around where I was living carried them, and it was a bit of a drive to find one that did. Finally, I took a leap of faith and bought a 55-02 from Bass Central without ever having played one. I'm damn glad I did. They're excellent basses, and the setup was absolutely perfect right out of the box. You won't regret getting one! :thu:

Archived