Just pulled the trigger...

Derek5272

• Members

I have the fretless version of that ( at the time, a $99 special)..... They look like 80s Tune Guitars

Construction on mine is decent -- well worth the $99 -- but, unlike the other SXes in my arsenal, the PUs in this fretless really suck....I mean the stock PUs in my other ones arent great but are playable...the ones I have in that fretless are noticably terrible ( although they look nice)

• Members

I have the fretless version of that ( at the time, a $99 special)..... They look like 80s Tune Guitars

Construction on mine is decent -- well worth the $99 -- but, unlike the other SXes in my arsenal, the PUs in this fretless
really
suck....I mean the stock PUs in my other ones arent great but are playable...the ones I have in that fretless are noticably terrible ( although they look nice)

Well it doesn't matter if these ones suck, I'm planning on replacing them regardless :p Want to learn how to do electronics and setup work without having something that'll cost me big time if I screw up really bad and break something.

• Members

Well it doesn't matter if these ones suck, I'm planning on replacing them regardless
:p
Want to learn how to do electronics and setup work without having something that'll cost me big time if I screw up really bad and break something.

The PUs are my only gripe about mine: Like I said, everything else about it is well-worth it.......... but let me know, or post a thread, about what you do to yours

• Members

I got both a fretted and fretted for $99 apiece. Well, worth it, IMO. I am not a tone snob, so I don't understand why the pups would be described as shucking. My observation is that the differences in tone between these and my other SX basses is that the lighter resonant body gives the tone more upper response. This is not the best sound for a fretless, but it is usable.

S4010353.jpg

Sorry for the sucky pic.

• Members

Headstock design is a hinging part of a guitar. Not so much for 6 strings guitars but basses and especially 5-6+ string basses. From a design standpoint the more condenced the configuration the more stable. That's why you don't see many inline fives and sixes. How gives a crap what your headstock looks like, it keeps your hand from slipping off the end.....

• Members

my old bass tutor had a bass that was the same shape as that, same headstock.. not sure who made it.. pretty sweet though

id like to check out an SX, fretless maybe.

cant get them in the UK though, that im aware of

shame

Rondo ships to Europe... Probably not very cheap, but y'know.

• Members

Looks nice actually, i can get with everything but the headstock.

The headstock is different (although not unique to SX or Bass Collection, of which this model is a licensed copy) but I LOVE it because it is such a functionally elegant design. The only wood that is there is what is NECESSARY to hold the tuners. It is angled and you have straight pull of the strings through the nut! That's all I want out of a headstock!

2 of the tuners are even reverse wound to allow the head to be so compact! :thu:

• Members

...Bass Collection, of which this model is a licensed copy

You sure about that? SGC Nanyo Bass Collection basses were basically low-priced knock-offs of the Tune Guitars "Bass Maniac" model that was introduced in 1984. Ibanez Soundgear basses were also essentially Bass Maniac knock-offs.

Anyway, I doubt Bass Collection would be in a position to license the design to anybody since they copied it themselves! Besides, I don't think SGC Nanyo has even been in business for maybe 10 years now.

Emre

• Members

You sure about that? SGC Nanyo Bass Collection basses were basically low-priced knock-offs of the Tune Guitars "Bass Maniac" model that was introduced in 1984. Ibanez Soundgear basses were also essentially Bass Maniac knock-offs.

Anyway, I doubt Bass Collection would be in a position to license the design to anybody since they copied it themselves! Besides, I don't think SGC Nanyo has even been in business for maybe 10 years now.

Emre

Yes, I'm sure. If you look verrry closely at the electronics cover in the photo of the rear here: http://www.rondomusic.com/sb301.html you can almost read that it says, Licensed by Bass Collection. I'll have to wait until I get home to verify whether it says SGC Nanyo on it or not.

• Members

A buddy years ago had a bass called a Tune, it was Japanese or something. This looks exactly like it.

Now its no surprise that all the Rondo designs are based on something pre-existing, does anyone know what the "original" to this actually was? It could be the Tune bass my friend had, let's face it, its different. But his could have been a knockoff all the same. This was about 17-18 years ago now, I was still in High School at the time.

• Members

Now its no surprise that all the Rondo designs are based on something pre-existing, does anyone know what the "original" to this actually was?

It's pretty much what I wrote in post #13 above. The original version of this bass was the "Bass Maniac" model made by Tune Guitars and first introduced in 1983 or 1984. Tune basses were handmade in Japan and were one of the first brands to offer active pickups and electronics. They were quite expensive at the time: well over $1000 IIRC.

Not surprisingly, a bunch of lower priced knock-offs soon hit the market. SGC Nanyo introduced the "Bass Collection" series. Ibanez intoduced their "Soundgear" line of basses. I'm sure there were others. But Bass Collection and Ibanez Soundgear were the two big Tune Bass Maniac knock-offs on the market.

Emre

• Members

It's pretty much what I wrote in post #13 above. The original version of this bass was the "Bass Maniac" model made by Tune Guitars and first introduced in 1983 or 1984. Tune basses were handmade in Japan and were one of the first brands to offer active pickups and electronics. They were quite expensive at the time: well over $1000 IIRC.

Not surprisingly, a bunch of lower priced knock-offs soon hit the market. SGC Nanyo introduced the "Bass Collection" series. Ibanez intoduced their "Soundgear" line of basses. I'm sure there were others. But Bass Collection and Ibanez Soundgear were the two big Tune Bass Maniac knock-offs on the market.

Emre

See that's what's so great about this forum, I learn something every day! But comparing the SX to the Tune (http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/tune/framepage,tune,bass,catalog.htm) I actually like the body and headstock on the SX better!

Thanks for the history LanEvo!! :wave:

Archived