John Entwistle(R.I.P.) kicks so much @#$

book_of_lies777

• Members

What do I even need to "prove"?
:rolleyes:
That I like Vai more than Satch?

Also, please provide evidence to substantiate your claim of this "groove rape" that Satch does to Vai? I'll assume it's in green night vision, but still, I'd like to see.
:cool:

Oh I give up, it doesn't really matter anyway.

I was asking you to provide examples of you favourite vai moments or tracks, since i'm not a fan... maybe you could of enlightened me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'm sorry, but that list is ghei. the ox was a great playa, but better (whatever that means:confused:) and more influence than Jamerson? No way. That's not a matter of opinion.

James Jamerson was the best electric bassist ever. Of all time. He invented the melodic bass line. Anyone else is number 2, and there's a lot of folks you can put there. But there's no one that had more impact on the music world and the bass world like he did, even if he was unknown at the time.

Argue about #2. There is only one number 1 and thats J.Jamerson.

aa.James.Jamerson.jpg

bow down and pay yer respectz.

I agree - even Paul McCartney claims that he was "nicking" his ideas from Jamerson.

Jaco P is also IMO more influential than the Ox - his fretless mastery, tone, and impact on other bass players are undeniable.

But even Jaco P lists Jamerson followed by Jerry Jemmott as his major influences.

• Members
Of course, but when someone says something like "your opinion is wrong", it causes me to rise to the debate.

And he isn't debateing anything... heres my take on it, i'm right, take it or leave it bai gaiz...

You have too many posts to have taken that personally. C'mon. Really. :p

Anyone 2K+ is subject to good ribbing. ;)

• Members
Of course, but when someone says something like "your opinion is wrong", it causes me to rise to the debate.

And he isn't debateing anything... heres my take on it, i'm right, take it or leave it bai gaiz...

It's all good man - the only right and wrong in music is being true to yourself.

If it moves you and grooves you, it must be right :wave:

• Members

And he isn't debateing anything... RockStarBassist: "heres my take on it, i'm right, take it or leave it, bai gaiz..."

Yeah... 'Sides, even if Vai is better, who gave him lessons? Satriani! So he can take credit for Vai's work :p

• Members

I LOVE NIRVANA, BUT KRIST NOVOSELIC???? {censored} THE GUYS WHO DID THAT LIST!

STING???

I THINK JOHN SHOULD BE SECOND AND JACO FIRST! {censored} THEM!

I AM SOOO {censored}ING MAD!

:mad:

You are taking this far too seriously.

Relax before you embarrass yourself. ;)

Anyway, these lists, no matter where they turn up, usually include the same names-for me, that's what matters, as it's apples and oranges to compare a lot of these guys, and there's no way to really decide who's "better," as that varies for everyone.

However, I am a little mystified by the inclusion of some of the players on this one. :freak:

And the threadstarter is lame. :poke:

• Members
You are taking this far too seriously.

Relax before you embarrass yourself.
;)

Anyway, these lists, no matter where they turn up, usually include the same names-for me, that's what matters, as it's apples and oranges to compare a lot of these guys, and there's no way to really decide who's "better," as that varies for everyone.

However, I am a little mystified by the inclusion of some of the players on this one.
:freak:

And the threadstarter is lame. :poke:

i know.... im actually the calmest person you can meet, trust me... :poke:

• Members

plenty of people can play their stuff, it's actually writeing it that is where the skill lies.

I donno about plenty, but enough can I agree. You should read Brian Beller's column from I think 2 mo's ago in BP Mag about when he was learning some music for Vai's summer tour. It's pretty funny, but also shows the level of expertise and commitment Vai requires of his band. :)

Edit- here's the link:

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/tackling-steve-vais/oct-07/31875

• Members
There is only one number 1 and thats J.Jamerson.

bow down and pay yer respectz.

I couldn't agree more.

I've been submerged in my Motown collection recently. Listen to these songs - in many of them, Jamerson's line WAS the song. The way his lines compliment the vocals, the way he incorporates the melody into his lines, his use of syncopation to create tension... it's as if the vocalist and James are singing a duet. Many of these songs were #1 hits and James is a big reason for that.

To think that he was simply given a chord chart and told to play, and play it right in one take. While drunk and high most of the time.:eek:

No other bassist has had such a significant impact on popular music.

2-B&W.jpg

• Members
I couldn't agree more.

I've been submerged in my Motown collection recently. Listen to these songs - in many of them, Jamerson's line WAS the song. The way his lines compliment the vocals, the way he incorporates the melody into his lines, his use of syncopation to create tension... it's as if the vocalist and James are singing a duet. Many of these songs were #1 hits and James is a big reason for that.

To think that he was simply given a chord chart and told to play, and play it right in one take. While drunk and high most of the time.
:eek:

No other bassist has had such a significant impact on popular music.

2-B&W.jpg

I feel a "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" viewing in DTS coming on! :thu:

Archived