John Entwistle(R.I.P.) kicks so much @#$

book_of_lies777

• Members
I don't like Geddy or Wooten.

I can appreciate they are both amazing bassiests though, can't help but feel that you are missing the fact that this is a bass celebrity list... not who is most worthy.

+1 he and lemmy are my bass heros

I don't know who Lemmy is :p

And I don't like Geddy either. Rush makes me ashamed to be Canadian :( Well, more ashamed than I am already, at least. Some of Wooten's stuff is pretty cool, but I haven't been able to bring myself to buy an album of bass wankery (guitar wankery, on the other hand...).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know who Lemmy is
:p

And I don't like Geddy either. Rush makes me ashamed to be Canadian
:(
Well, more ashamed than I am already, at least. Some of Wooten's stuff is pretty cool, but I haven't been able to bring myself to buy an album of bass wankery (guitar wankery, on the other hand...).

Lemmy is the front man for Motorhead.

there are allot of rush fans here btw... so better start running now ;)

• Members

And that's why Geddy and Wooten and others arn't on there... it's bassiests that are in the public eye allot that have gotten on that list, that ass from fall out boy would make it into the top 20 these days no doubt.

Well, if Cobain can make it up high on guitarist lists, then you know anything is possible... If it were a SONGWRITER list that Kurt was on, it'd be more understandable, but that guy was not a great guitarist.

• Members
Some of Wooten's stuff is pretty cool, but I haven't been able to bring myself to buy an album of bass wankery (guitar wankery, on the other hand...).

Based on this statement, you more now than ever need to pick up an album. :) Cause it's hardly what you can consider "wankery"... Silly. :p

Believe me- it will save you from further embarrassment. ;)

• Members
Based on this statement, you more
now
than ever need to pick up an album.
:)
Cause it's hardly what you can consider "wankery"... Silly.

Believe me- it will save you from further embarrassment.
;)

how is his stuff not bass wankery :confused: he totally loads his basslines to the max :o

• Members
how is his stuff not bass wankery
:confused:
he totally loads his basslines to the max
:o

Go pick up his albums that are not solo bass. The ones he did with Regi Wooten, Jeff Coffin, and Carter Beauford. IIRC, he only did one all-bass album, maybe two.

Your definition of "wankery" is wrong also. Wankery is just playing to play notes. Playing a complex and/or intricate bass line as a composition is about as far from that as you can get. Same goes for guitards who "play too many notes".

• Members
Based on this statement, you more
now
than ever need to pick up an album.
Cause it's hardly what you can consider "wankery"... Silly.

Believe me- it will save you from further embarrassment.
;)

Most of what I've heard of Wooten is live stuff, and I based my opinions on that. If you're gonna tell me that that isn't wankery, I don't know what is.

The other reason I haven't bought an album yet is 'cause they're all $25+ at the store. iTunes doesn't have any Wooten albums.

• Members

Go pick up his albums that are not solo bass. The ones he did with Regi Wooten, Jeff Coffin, and Carter Beauford. IIRC, he only did one all-bass album, maybe two.

Your definition of "wankery" is wrong also. Wankery is just playing to play notes. Playing a complex and/or intricate bass line as a composition is about as far from that as you can get. Same goes for guitards who "play too many notes".

And what guitards would you be talking about? As much as I love listening to stuff by Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Buckethead, etc, even I have to admit that a lot of it is wankery.

• Members

Most of what I've heard of Wooten is live stuff, and I based my opinions on that. If you're gonna tell me that that isn't wankery, I don't know what is.

The other reason I haven't bought an album yet is 'cause they're all $25+ at the store. iTunes doesn't have any Wooten albums.

I'm basing on his outstanding compositions and writings with other musicians, such as his Yin Yang, Soul Circus, and other albums, as well as ANY Flecktones albums and/or performance.

His 1-2 minute triplet-slap/pop solos aren't what Vic is about, even if that's what he gets pigeonholed as.

• Members
And what guitards would you be talking about? As much as I love listening to stuff by Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Buckethead, etc, even I have to admit that a lot of it is wankery.

Out of those 4, only Vai IMO keeps it interesting in a song context. He adds additional guitars and so many layers and with keys and synths etc., it doesn't get as old to me.

I just picked up his Live at Astoria DVD w/ MacAlpine, Sheehan, Weiner and Donati, and I don't consider much of that wankery. :) Just absolutely perfectly executed musicianship!

• Members

I'm going to have to agree with Derek, i've got a couple of bela fleck and the flecktones albums somewhere that were given to me...

• Members
Out of those 4, only Vai IMO keeps it interesting in a song context. He adds additional guitars and so many layers and with keys and synths etc., it doesn't get as old to me.

I just picked up his Live at Astoria DVD w/ MacAlpine, Sheehan, Weiner and Donati, and I don't consider much of that wankery.
Just absolutely perfectly executed musicianship!

You see I completely disagree, I think only Satriani really has a groove going there at all. Vai is a better technical guitarist, but Joe rapes him in terms of groove.

Can you provide some evidence to substantiate your claim, because all I need to do is link Satch Boogie.

[YOUTUBE]zzQb79IhoRE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'm not saying Satch isn't good. I know most of, if not all of his stuff pretty damn well. Again, to me it's not as grabbing.

Plus, it's funny when you say it doesn't "groove" as much, as back when these guys were in their heyday, it was the same rhythm sections usually holding it down for each! ;)

• Members
I'm not saying Satch isn't good. I know most of, if not all of his stuff pretty damn well. Again, to me it's not as grabbing.

Plus, it's funny when you say it doesn't "groove" as much, as back when these guys were in their heyday, it was the same rhythm sections usually holding it down for each!
;)

So your answer is "No" then?

• Members

I have that DVD as well as other VHS tapes of all his stuff- can you please put them in your players? :p I have them right here.

If you have the time to go scour YouTube all the day long, then go all for it. :) My lunch break is almost over anyhow.

If all you need is constant 8th notes (like in Satch Boogie) to "groove", I promise Vai, as well as any other solo guitar artist, has done that before. ;)

Also, can you please show me a song of Satch's that exudes the raw emotion and feel of pain and desire of Vai's "For The Love of God"? Thanks. ;)

• Members

Don't be sorry - he's a shabby bassist with terrible tone, sloppy fretwork, and no concept of dynamics.

My understanding is that Noel Redding was never really a "bassist" in the first place. He was a guitarist who picked up the bass to get the Hendrix gig (like Duff McKagen of G'n'R).

Emre

• Members

pfffft, as if RockStarBassist would lower himself to actually prove his point, his collection of basses is far above that! :rolleyes:

:D

Another reason why Joe has teh grooveyness:

[YOUTUBE]1cJNbYYyItg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
I have that DVD as well as other VHS tapes of all his stuff- can you please put them in your players?
I have them right here.

If you have the time to go scour YouTube all the day long, then go all for it.
My lunch break is almost over anyhow.

If all you need is constant 8th notes (like in Satch Boogie) to "groove", I promise Vai, as well as any other solo guitar artist, has done that before.
;)

Also, can you please show me a song of Satch's that exudes the raw emotion and feel of pain and desire of Vai's "For The Love of God"? Thanks.
;)

I think all you guys are proving is that music is subjective.

Personally, I get a better groove from Satch's material as well.

"Summer Song" just flows, as does "Flying In a Blue Dream"

• Members

I'm sorry, but that list is ghei. the ox was a great playa, but better (whatever that means:confused:) and more influence than Jamerson? No way. That's not a matter of opinion.

James Jamerson was the best electric bassist ever. Of all time. He invented the melodic bass line. Anyone else is number 2, and there's a lot of folks you can put there. But there's no one that had more impact on the music world and the bass world like he did, even if he was unknown at the time.

Argue about #2. There is only one number 1 and thats J.Jamerson.

aa.James.Jamerson.jpg

bow down and pay yer respectz. :cool:

• Members

What do I even need to "prove"? :rolleyes: That I like Vai more than Satch?

Also, please provide evidence to substantiate your claim of this "groove rape" that Satch does to Vai? I'll assume it's in green night vision, but still, I'd like to see. :cool:

Archived