I've realized that I'm just gonna have to...

Death Hands

• Members

Buy a cheapass fiver, sight unseen, sound unheard, and play it until I can get the taste of it on my pallet, so that I can get it down my gullet and start messing with them.

I played sever fivers in the shop Saturday, and none of them were satisfying, so that's how it'll be until I get acquainted.

I'm thinking that I'll go Douglas(Rondo) for a fiver, but I've not seen anything review or thread-wise for them. Any news?

• Moderators

I let Brother Mango borrow one of my fives for a while a few years back. He kept it for a bit and then decided he likes 4s better. No harm there. Is there anyone you can borrow one from? Probably not. If my Hamers weren't so screwy with their tight string spacing I'd send one down for you to play for a bit. Well, I guess if you know the string spacing is tight, maybe it's not a big deal. You'd have to pay shipping both ways, but I can send this guy down to you:

IMG_7798.jpg

• Members

I kinda see your point, but if it's really nasty then it might make playing it... not the most pleasent experiance in your life.

I let Brother Mango borrow one of my fives for a while a few years back. He kept it for a bit and then decided he likes 4s better. No harm there. Is there anyone you can borrow one from? Probably not. If my Hamers weren't so screwy with their tight string spacing I'd send one down for you to play for a bit. Well, I guess if you know the string spacing is tight, maybe it's not a big deal. You'd have to pay shipping both ways, but I can send this guy down to you:

IMG_7798.jpg

nice :)

• Members

:p

5 string isn't hard to get used to in the slightest (well it wasn't for me), and you can always re-string one of your 4 bangers anyway.

one of my early basses was a 5 string low end cort, sounded like pure sterilized ass... it was easy to play though and was really light for gigging purposes.

• Members

:p

5 string isn't hard to get used to in the slightest (well it wasn't for me), and you can always re-string one of your 4 bangers anyway.

one of my early basses was a 5 string low end cort, sounded like pure sterilized ass... it was easy to play though and was really light for gigging purposes.

You'd have to hear me dick around to see what kind of use I'd get out of a fiver, especially with composing. Haha. I trip up on the extra string, because I haven't taken the time to get to know it, if that make sense. Plus, most of the ones I tried just sounded horrid. It was depressing, in a way. :p

Also, I really like having a G string. Chording, solos, playing easily in position and all. I've tuned BADG a lot, and I really dig that, so I think of it as "Once I get used to it, I'll have that all of the time."

EDIT2:

By the way, I added you on the ol' MSN.

• Members

I assumed that you were talking about that Rogue.

No, the Rogue is the lowest priced 5 string on the Music123 website at the moment. What I got was this:

228786.jpg

from here. Too bad that the "Cherry sunburst" finish doesn't look anything like that pic :confused:

It's no real P but it's not a complete POS. All in all I can say that I am pleased with the purchase, since it has given me something to doodle round on until I made up my stupid mind about what to get.

• Members

No, the Rogue is the lowest priced 5 string on the Music123 website at the moment. What I got was this:

228786.jpg

from here
. Too bad that the "Cherry sunburst" finish doesn't look anything like that pic
:confused:

It's no real P but it's not a complete POS. All in all I can say that I am pleased with the purchase, since it has given me something to doodle round on until I made up my stupid mind about what to get.

Ah, THAT! Yeah, I missed that train. As I recall, my wallet was all "Dudeeee... whoaaaa..." Haha. I can understand that. :)

Thanks again for the recommendation, though. If I end up really looking into a starter, it may well be that Rogue.

• Members

FWIW, when I was buying my $50 4-string from Music123.com, they had an assortment of 5 strings around the $100-150 mark. Dunno if that was a one-time shot or not, but I seriously considered buying TWO basses for some time, there.

I mean, how could you go wrong?

if you are going to get a Rogue go ahead and get the LX 405 Pro.

the pups in lx 205 b models are not the best in the world especially for a low B however an upgrade to some PJ pups would make that bass sick!

I have no complaints at all with my LX 405 Pro though.

• Members

A word of warning, I have always found that you need to spend more on a 5 string, a pup upgrade will do wonders for that bass though.

Hence why I have invested so much into the Lakland, I know that will play well.... well it better had :o

• Members

Buy a cheapass fiver, sight unseen, sound unheard, and play it until I can get the taste of it on my pallet, so that I can get it down my gullet and start messing with them.

I played sever fivers in the shop Saturday, and none of them were satisfying, so that's how it'll be until I get acquainted.

I'm thinking that I'll go Douglas(Rondo) for a fiver, but I've not seen anything review or thread-wise for them. Any news?

DH,

I've only been a fiver player for about the past 9 months and now find it difficult to look back at my 4's. It certainly took a while for me to get used to the extra B, but after a bit of messing around and practise I'm sure you'll dig it.

By "Cheapass", how cheap do you mean? Under $1000? Under $500?

I opted for the Ibanez ATK305 and fortunately got to try before I bought it. These (to me anyway) are the best bang for buck fiver on the market. You should be able to pick one of these up for circa $750.

If you find the ATK is not for you, then you could always put it up on the bay. These bad boys seem to attrack a lot of attention these days and get snapped up for pretty good prices which means you won't loose much on your investment.

If you are looking cheaper than this, maybe look at an EB OLP? These can bit a bit hit n miss. Some OLP's are great, some not so great but certainly worth a look for the price. You can usually pick these up new for under $400.

This is my ATK305:

ATK305.jpg

• Members

Now that's a bass I would buy, I don't like obtaining things that I couldn't move on if I needed to.

I've been in the bidding several times for these on the bay, but the price has gone over and beyond what I'd consider to be a bargain for a 2nd hand bass. I've seen some go beyond what I got mine for new! This is a good thing for anyone that owns one and is thinking of upgrading. :thu:

BTW - I'm hanging onto this one! It's all mine!!! :cop:

• Members

IMG_7798.jpg

You keep mentioning that tight string spacing on the Hamer 5s - I may just have to try one - I've decided wide spacing just isn't my thing.

• Members

i bought a Peavey Millenium BXP 5 a few years ago, just so I could have a 5 string in the arsenal, and to see whether I liked it or not. It's a decent bass for the price (and I'm not out a whole lotta money after deciding that I really prefer 4 strings). It's good to have around for those occasional times when there is a need for notes lower than the E, and I'd use it as a backup if I had to.

Archived