New to Bass Guitar?

vince726

• Members

What's your budget?

What style of music do you play?

What venues (home, church, clubs, etc) will you be playing in?

I play at home, I like Blues, Beetles, nothing Heavy.I was thinking of picking up the Ibanez GSR-200 for $210.00. Any suggestions, thanks!!!

• Members

In the lower price bracket, as long as it's a recognizable name, it's all mostly the same as far as quality goes.

Go plug in different ones into different amps and see what you like best. Really, who cares if you get a $250 yamaha or a $250 ibanez or a $250 squire, even? In that price range, feel to you will be more important than what we recommend.

Having said that, of all low end basses, Yamaha is absolutely the best to me.

• Members

Welcome. If you stick with it you'll eventually buy another bass. I don't particularly like Ibanez basses because of the narrow string spacing on the ones I've played. I like 1 5/8" necks rather than 1 1/2" necks. The 1 3/4" of a P bass is a little too wide for my tastes, too, so I stick with 1 5/8".

• Members

If you expect to be playing a 5 string within 5 years, start with a 5 string now.

Took me more than a year to get comfortable with the change. (But I had been playing a 4 string for decades.)

Also, learn what a truss rod is and how to adjust it. Keep your action low and your touch light. You'll play faster with less fatigue.

Archived