So here I am... new to bass.

mstreck

• Members

I am going to be playing bass on a few songs so my band's bassist can play some guitar.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a bass from a friend - but that's as far as I got.

Any tips/suggestions? I'm totally out of my realm here.

Thanks!

Mike

• Members

How long have you been playing guitar? I found that playing guitar for about 15 years before switching to bass really helped. I knew where all of the notes were, I had a technique down, it just made it easier.

I'd say I've been playing guitar for about 6 years. I do know the fretboard and have a pretty good grasp on theory (extended chords, modes, etc.).

We play a lot of modern and 80s pop/rock.

I think one huge hurdle is going to be learning to play without a pick. :freak:

• Members

I'd say I've been playing guitar for about 6 years. I do know the fretboard and have a pretty good grasp on theory (extended chords, modes, etc.).

We play a lot of modern and 80s pop/rock.

I think one huge hurdle is going to be learning to play without a pick.
:freak:

A lot of modern and 80's pop/rock was played with a pick. No reason to put it down now! :)

• Members

A lot of modern and 80's pop/rock was played with a pick. No reason to put it down now!
:)

+1. No reason to not play with a pick, unless you're going for that fingerstyle sound. I play with a pick probably 85% of the time because it gets me the tone I want. The more tools you've got, the better off you are going to be!

• Members

Ahhhh... well... I guess I'm good to go then.

Now if I could just figure out how to strum the damn thing!
:D

Ha, well that's ONE thing you won't be doing unless you've got some strong hands and are quite comfy with your chording technique on bass! ;)

Remember to use the fat/back of your palm as a mute, if that makes sense. I try to do that to make sure I keep my attack quick and right on when I wield the Dunlop 1.14! :thu:

• Members

in first take some ZZtop stuff and work with these three note about RYTHM. It's what i discover when i switched from guitar to bass after seven years of practise: i was not really in rythm.... some hours to play doum doum doum doum doum doum ... will improve your rythm.

• Members

Ha, well that's ONE thing you won't be doing unless you've got some strong hands and are quite comfy with your chording technique on bass!
;)

Remember to use the fat/back of your palm as a mute, if that makes sense. I try to do that to make sure I keep my attack quick and right on when I wield the Dunlop 1.14!
:thu:

Left hand muting is important too, on some things.

• Members

Get a coat with big padded shoulders and tight tailoring in the waist, and don't forget your "Flock of Seagulls" New Romantic hairdo. A skinny tie won't hurt either.

Oh, and 80's pop? Might have to learn to slap a bit. Seems like there was lots of slapping goin' on in 80's pop.

• Members

I am going to be playing bass on a few songs so my band's bassist can play some guitar.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a bass from a friend - but that's as far as I got.

Any tips/suggestions? I'm totally out of my realm here.

Thanks!

Mike

I think it would be a lot easier going from Guitar to bass.

I tried to learn guitar after 25 years of playing bass....it didnt work so well for me....

play some sabbath/ACDC/ led zep you'll feel it

• Members

I just recently switched to bass myself after playing guitar for many years.

Here's what I'm finding out:

Touch and Tone are VERY important on electric bass. Pick close to the bridge when you're starting out - that will reduce string buzz.

Stick to the pick if you are only playing occasional bass. Don't even think of trying fingerstyle. It takes a long time to build the callouses on your right hand to where fingerstyle sounds good. Also, playing fingerstyle is very easy to get bad tone and buzzing.

Endurance: Playing bass is physically demanding, much more so than guitar. Your fret-hand palm should not be on the back of the neck, but raised slightly above (this advice comes from Ed Friedland).

Also, the pressure your fingers exert on the neck should come from the fingers themselves, and not from clamping your thumb on the back of the neck - the fret-hand thumb should be a pivot and not a "clamp" (again, from Ed Friedland).

Be prepared to change fingerings to avoid fatigue.

Above all, strive for consistency in your picking attack - listen carefully to the notes that you are producing and strive for consistent tone. This is much harder than it sounds, and will get easier with practice.

Have fun!

• Members
I just recently switched to bass myself after playing guitar for many years.

Here's what I'm finding out:

Touch and Tone are VERY important on electric bass. Pick close to the bridge when you're starting out - that will reduce string buzz.

Stick to the pick if you are only playing occasional bass. Don't even think of trying fingerstyle. It takes a long time to build the callouses on your right hand to where fingerstyle sounds good. Also, playing fingerstyle is very easy to get bad tone and buzzing.

Endurance: Playing bass is physically demanding, much more so than guitar. Your fret-hand palm should not be on the back of the neck, but raised slightly above (this advice comes from Ed Friedland).

Also, the pressure your fingers exert on the neck should come from the fingers themselves, and not from clamping your thumb on the back of the neck - the fret-hand thumb should be a pivot and not a "clamp" (again, from Ed Friedland).

Be prepared to change fingerings to avoid fatigue.

Above all, strive for consistency in your picking attack - listen carefully to the notes that you are producing and strive for consistent tone. This is much harder than it sounds, and will get easier with practice.

Have fun!

I agree! I'm also an ex guitar player. :wave:

Archived