Has anyone ever shipped a large cab?

bbl

• Members

I'm selling my Aggie GS412, and interest here in SF has been light so far.

Seems like a hassle to ship, given it's size and weight. But if I can find/make a box, and as long as someone else is paying for it, I guess it's really not a big deal, right?:idk:

• Members

I had people ready to pony up the funds if I could ship my SWR Goliath III 4x10 cab, but could not get affordable shipping. What I found was as soon as you get the package 27" x 27" or bigger the price from all the carriers jumped up to around $130. If you could keep the size down to 26" x 26" or below you could ship for about $65. My cab was 25.5" tall so I would have only 1/4" of padding top and bottom or basically no padding and that wasn't worth the risk to me.

Finally we have a gig coming up in KC so I put in on Craig's List up there and said I'd deliver on that date. Sold it the next day, have a deposit through PayPal, everything worked out. A much bigger market. You might try CL it worked for me.

FWIW,

Humpty

• Members

Well I had a quote of $400 to ship a 4x10 aggy to the UK, so inside of the US can't be that bad.

I'm pretty sure most decent shipping companies will offer a crate service where they make a woodern frame for the item, just ring around dude.

How much were you thinking of selling it for?

• Members

I shipped a 4x10 which weighed about 100 lbs. I called DHL to get a quote, and they said for $4 more, we'll come to your house to pick it up. Having tried to wrestle that beast into a car a few times, the $4 charge was a bargain.

If you have a local moving box store, they probably have a box that will fit. Just put lots of padding in it (I use rolled up newspaper), and insure it.

• Members

RSB shipped me his Mesa's, a 210 and a 115. In separate boxes. If I remember right, he said it was about $90 for the pair. Only thing was, he took the casters off the 115, and threw them loose in the box, where they bounced around, tore up the box some, and could have gotten lost if they fell out the holes they made. But all received fine. Don't remember at all who he shipped through.

• Members

I dealt with a pair of Yamaha 118 subs being shipped, as well as a number of other large/heavy items. The Greyhound option mentioned earlier is definately a good one, albeit one that requires a bit more logistics. Of all the regular carriers, FedEx Ground (not "normal" FedEx) is usually the best bet for larger heavier items. Cost under $100 to ship both subs. UPS is fine for smaller stuff but they suck when it comes to big and heavy.

The trick is the size, not the weight. When packages get larger, the shipping cost is more a function of their volume/size than it is their weight - they usually bill by what they call "dimensional weight". Look at the various methods the carriers use to determine volume and plan accordingly. For instance, UPS has a maximum size of 130 inches, measured around (girth) once added to length. Anything between 110 and 130 inches is billed at a minimum of 75lbs. (my exact numbers may be off a bit, but the concept is the same). So if your box measures 116 inches, and weighs 50lbs, it gets billed at 75lbs. If the same size box weighs 70lbs. it's still the same charge. But if you go over 130 inches - even by just a little - they tack on an oversize charge of an extra $100 or so - ouch!. So a box that measures 129 inches that weighs 60lbs. gets billed as if it weighs 75lbs., but if that box is bigger by just an inch or two on one side, you get billed for 75lbs. PLUS $100. This is why it's important to pay close attention to the SIZE of your package.

Packing - You will never find a perfect box...and that's okay. Go to a furniture store, a bike shop, or an appliance store and get a few big boxes. The idea is to have large sheets of heavy cardboard. Then cut the boxes up and wrap the cabinet, making your own custom sized box, that is only as big as it needs to be. If you wish, you can prewrap the speaker boxes with foam or bubble wrap first, but I've never found it to be all that necessary.

Definately buy shipping insurance; it's cheap and worth the extra cash. Make sure you get enough to cover full replacement value, and have documentation showing what that value actually is.

That all sounds scary, but it's really not so bad. I've shipped and received lots of big packages over the years, and only had a couple of bad stories.

Good luck.

• Members

When I got my Avatar 212, it was used from a guy on a different forum. He shipped it FedEx for maybe $20 (New Jersey to Alberta), and they told him not to bother with a box because it would be easier for them to carry with the handles than trying to grab the box.

• Members

I'm selling my Aggie GS412, and interest here in SF has been light so far.

Seems like a hassle to ship, given it's size and weight. But if I can find/make a box, and as long as someone else is paying for it, I guess it's really not a big deal, right?
:idk:

You make me sad. :cry: Why are you selling the GS412??

In response to your point:

I purchased my GS410 from Florida. It didn't seem to be much of a problem for UPS to get that thing to me in Chicago. Our maintenance man was frazzled, though. It wasn't fun for him to receive that box & hold it until I got home from work.

The UPS transit time wasn't any slower than if the parcel had been a pair of pants.

• Members

RSB shipped me his Mesa's, a 210 and a 115. In separate boxes. If I remember right, he said it was about $90 for the pair. Only thing was, he took the casters off the 115, and threw them loose in the box, where they bounced around, tore up the box some, and could have gotten lost if they fell out the holes they made. But all received fine. Don't remember at all who he shipped through.

Sorry man. :( That was way back in the day. I'm pretty much a consumate pro right now. And actually, my Powerhouse 210 and 212 are on the FedEx truck for delivery!! :thu::thu:

In relation to the OP, I'd go find a refrigerator or freezer box from a store like Best Buy, Conns, etc.. and use that. The largest cab I ever shipped was a Mesa Diesel 2x15, and that's what I used. It's really not that tough, just takes a little time. I've shipped a LOT (way too many) cabs in the past year or so, and they've all worked out fine. Also, if at ALL possible, pack it yourself! Having FedEx or UPS pack and send ANYthing nowadays is absolutely absurd. I know people who quoted me basses having UPS pack and send, and they were talking in the $130's range. Insane.

And on the money deal, you're probably going to have to split shipping on the deal, and eat some of it, or come off the price a little. Shipping even for big cabs used to be on teh cheap, but not anymore. There's a damn fuel surcharge on everything.

I have a FedEx account, so I just box up stuff here at the office, call in the pickup (small fee), and they whisk it away. Easy enough for me.

• Members

Wotta
MAN
!!!

You still running the SVT?

Yep.

Funny. I bought the Aggie 412 and I've been trying to sell the Schro for 9 months now. It's practically mint, and I think I took the price down to $650. No takers. Not one potential buyer would even stop by to hear it.:cry:

Is $650 too much to ask for a Schro 410R that's hardly been used?:confused:

So, I figured I would start using it again. Now the Schro and I like Peaches and Herb - reunited (and it feels so good). To my ears, and with the band... SVT/Schro > SVT/Aggie 412. I can't deny the punch of a good 410 cab!:thu:

Archived