pfft... clones

REMUS

• Moderators

Dave Reeves designed the Hiwatt. The amp bnyswonger was testing is as much a clone as an original.;)

"Musicians Hotline is proud to present a company profile on Reeves Amplification. "The Great British Legend Lives On". Faithful reproductions

of Dave Reeves legendary Hiwatt designs. Here is what Bill Jansen shares with Musicians Hotline.

MH: Bill, how did you first get involved with the Reeves Amplification venture? BJ:I had purchased vintage Marshall amps from Music Ground in Leeds, U.K. and during the course of several emails and telephone conversations I came to find out that they manufactured "true" HIWATT amplifiers for the European market. Fernandes owns the U.S. trademark rights to HIWATT, hence prohibiting Music Ground from selling their HIWATT amplifiers in the states. So, being the true capitalist that I am, I asked HIWATT U.K. to OEM amplifiers for us to be marketed in the U.S. under the Reeves name."

• Moderators
sweet!

I think it's pretty strange they are prohibited
:confused:

A few years after Reeves passd away, the Hiwatt company was liquidated, IIRC. It would make sense if Fernandes purchased the rights of the name for the US market, especially if at the time Music Ground wasn't distributing into the US. I don't really know how or why that shook out the way it did. But it definitely is a little confusing.

Archived