fun cheap noisemaker ( or what to do with dano mini pedals)

Guttermouth

• Members

well,

putting a huge knob on the front of them helps :)

dano.jpg

somehow i acquired this pedal and it was so god awful in it's stock form it had been sitting collecting dust. anyway - i got the hankering for some verbish things tonight and remembered reading something a while back about changing the length of the repeats in the dano minis so i thought i'd give it a shot.

the dsp chip in them doesn't take well to insanely low values and starts distorting and doing weirdo stuff with the pot all the way down. but, there's alot of cool sounds to be had from 'em (especially for the 10 bucks or whatever they go for used) and believe it or not they work well with a bass.

here's a clip of the pedal. signal chain was eb-0>bad monkey> corned beef> diy tube preamp> sonar.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5979993&q=hi

i'll put it in a real enclosure sometime and may put an expression pedal on it :thu:

• Members

Can you mod this bowl of Cheerios I'm eating into a phaser? My money's on yes.

I find that Cheerios don't colour the tone as much as Froot Loops do. Is there a way I can get a more flavourful sound out of my bowl of Cheerios without having to make a full-on switch to Froot Loops? I tried Rice Krispies because of all the hype but they just sounded mushy to me. Maybe I just have bad taste?

• Members

Not all of the mini pedals are bad. I have the EQ pedal and it's easily better sounding than a Boss EQ pedal. Cool mod by the way.

you're right. i shouldn't have said bad. it actually sounds pretty good (considering) but, it was just extremely one dimensional in stock form. being able to control the speed of the repeats is way more useful than the hi cut knob imo.

• Members

do yo have a pic of the inside of the pedal?

i'm not understanding what you did.....

are there dipswicthes inside ro something?

sorry man - i was in a bit of a rush earlier.

what it amounts to is there is a surface mount resistor on the board that controls the delay time ( off pin 6 of the pt2399). you desolder that resistor and solder in a 100 k pot and you can then control the delay time of the pedal. the corned beef when stock is a dedicated slap back type pedal so ,with the mod you have control of the mix, tone of the repeats and repeat time (to a degree - it's gets pretty nasty sounding at slower repeats).

• Members

thats frickin' cool.

i always thought i would enjoy building and {censored}ing with pedals, but i never got into it.

it's pretty fun stuff man. especially when there's soooo many pedals out there that can be had cheap and are completely useable. if you wanna give one a shot pick up one of these danos- they are super cheap so if you set it on fire -it's no big deal :thu:

you can do this sort of thing with alot of their echo/delay/verb pedals. they use the same chip in most of them so the same set of mods applies to them. i think i'm gonna see if i can figure out how to get this one to self oscillate tommorrow :)

• Members

That's cool man. I recently did a Keeley seeing eye and ultra mod to a DS-1 I won at a tradeshow, fun stuff.

I should dabble more in this, I miss having projects on the bench.

One of the first ones I ever did, I took a broken DS-1 (weird my history with modding them) and a broken flanger. I was about 15 and had NO clue what I was doing, but they were broken, so why not have fun?

In the end, I got it to come alive again, by merging the 2 boards in ways they weren't meant to be merged. In the end, I had a snarly distortion that the speed control acted as a speed control that affected the swell rate in which the distortion level went from 0 to 10. WEird effect to put it mildly. :freak:

It was like having someone turn your gain knob up and down at a uniform rate that you could set.

• Members

How does one get into this kinda stuff? I've wanted to learn how to solder for forever now, especially since I'm a computer guy. Mod consoles, fix mobos, etc...

I'd love to play around with some pedals. I want to eventually completely rebuild an SX too, after refinishing it.

• Members

How does one get into this kinda stuff? I've wanted to learn how to solder for forever now, especially since I'm a computer guy. Mod consoles, fix mobos, etc...

I'd love to play around with some pedals. I want to eventually completely rebuild an SX too, after refinishing it.

i took electronics engineering in college.but for doing pedals and other low voltage stuff taking classes may be overkill ( unless you wanna be the be all end all guru of pedal building :))

just head to the library or amazon and pick up a beginning electronics theory book and a nice variable wattage soldering station ( the cheaper wellers are nice).then head to radio shack and pick up some brownboard and some various components and fire the iron up :thu:

there's tons of pages on teh interwebz about learning to solder and if you wanna be a badass hunt down a military soldering handbook.

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm

• Members

i put in a new switch tonight :)

danomodded.jpg

it gives the pedal the ability to self oscillate and have infinite repeats ( albeit with further and further signal degradation.

here's the pedal doing the self oscillating thang :

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5983252&q=hi

and here it is with a fuzz and a bass :

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5983263&q=hi

• Members

I'm just sitting here with Lora and I saw your post:

Me: Hey, here are some clips Ian posted. He usually posts some cool stuff.

Her: Cool.

(Opens sound clips)

Ahhh...uhhh...hmmm

Me: Sorry.
:idk:

:p

hahahahaha

sorry that had to be her first introduction to me :)

i'll do better next time - i swear....

:cop:

• Members

hahaha

i know. it's one of those "it's here not getting any use -let's see how wacky i can make it" kinda things.

you can pull out some wacky stuff using your foot to toggle the infinite repeat switch though
:)

Is it a latched switch? I could see unlatched having a lot of use in that set up.

Archived