New to bass.... couple of questions

bassturd

• Members

i'll probably get flamed for this one but... i'm gettin into bass with main influences being Fieldy from KoRn and boosty collins... i really like the heavy distorted sound of fieldy... but i also like boosty collins bringin the funk... my question is... im gettin my first bass... its a fender MIM p bass... but fieldy uses a 5 string, can a 4 string be used to play his tunes? i've noticed he dont use high end a lot... so should i be able to just down tune the bass to the first 4 strings on a 5 string and play it like that?... also being a beginner does anyone have any good sites... books... videos for practicing slap techniques and building finger strength for finger picking?... i dont really wanna use a pick for bass... Thanks in advance for the help

• Members

you can have the bass fitted to use the low 4 strings in a 5 string set if you want to go that route. BEAD tuning. requires a new nut and a setup. there are only 5 more notes with a 5 stringer so its not that hard, those notes can be found easily elsewhere.

you cannot detune the E string to B because it would be way too floppy.

• Members

you can have the bass fitted to use the low 4 strings in a 5 string set if you want to go that route. BEAD tuning. requires a new nut and a setup. there are only 5 more notes with a 5 stringer so its not that hard, those notes can be found easily elsewhere.

OK, so basically buy really heavy strings for down tuning?

• Members

This is not necessarily true.

My fretless P/J and my duct tape bass specifically to not have excessively floppy strings after detuning to BEAD from EADG. I recommend to the OP to try and detune with the existing strings first. If they are too floppy at that point, then by all means put on a 5 string set.

• Members

This is not necessarily true.

My fretless P/J and my duct tape bass specifically to not have excessively floppy strings after detuning to BEAD from EADG. I recommend to the OP to try and detune with the existing strings first. If they are too floppy at that point, then by all means put on a 5 string set.

man i have a hard time playing 5ers with a floppy B string (34" scale mainly). i couldnt even imagine tuning a normal (100-105) E string down to B.

• Members

man i have a hard time playing 5ers with a floppy B string (34" scale mainly). i couldnt even imagine tuning a normal (100-105) E string down to B.

I have a G&L L-2500 Tribute, 34" scale, with a tight B string. I think there's more than the scale length at play when discussing tight/floppy B strings.

I played some expensive Pedulla 5er at a Guitar Center a couple of years ago and was shocked at how floppy the B string was (and yes it was in tune). ALL of my BEAD detuned basses have tighter B's than that bass.

• Members

i think you could get that flieldy tone doing this:

- use new string (not flat)

- detuning without heavyer gauge string... so you get super floppy strings, with a lot of fretting noise

- turn down the mid, and turn up the high freq.

that should get that clanky sound without definition

• Members

i think you could get that flieldy tone doing this:

- use new string (not flat)

- detuning without heavyer gauge string... so you get super floppy strings, with a lot of fretting noise

- turn down the mid, and turn up the high freq.

that should get that clanky sound without definition

I thought I would never see the day when bass players actively seek out {censored}, incompetently played tone.

Wow.

Make sure and use your thumb and beat downwards on the strings until they hit the fretwires and pickups. :rolleyes:

• Members

I thought I would never see the day when bass players actively seek out {censored}, incompetently played tone.

Wow.

Make sure and use your thumb and beat downwards on the strings until they hit the fretwires and pickups.
:rolleyes:

Sarcasm/joke.

Archived