your finger technique ...how hard?

molsen

• Members

how hard do you pluck the strings in general? and what kind of music do you play?

personally, i like to pluck hard most of the time. it gives a stronger tone, IMO, especially with a little overdrive....gives more of that piano/bell tone. i usually play rock music. for less "excited" music, i pluck with a little less force, but still pretty hard i think

• Members

I play soul and Motown.

I pluck very hard. I've broken strings. Not a lot, but once every couple years it happens.

If I use a pick, or try to slap and pop I have to turn up the volume to be heard the same.

I make very small movements and pluck pretty hard. I'm very focused, if you wish.

I've watched Rocco play closely. That's what he appears to do.

• Members

I'm finding that, the more I develop as a bassist, the lighter my touch gets. I used to really dig into them but now, not so much.

+1

My touch has been getting lighter and lighter, which also means my action has been able to get lower and lower. Once I started playing fretless bass, my touch has gotten even gentler and more consistent: that's the only way you can get a fretless to really sing: play light; let the amp to the work!

I'm at the point now where I can play all day without getting any hand/finger fatigue. It's all down to my light touch.

Emre

• Members

That's the problem with Rotos...they don't last for beans.

that also happens to me with regular D'addarios (which i hate but sometimes are all i can afford), although the D'addarios last me about 1/2 days longer....

the D'addario Prosteels last me longer, though.... those are AMAZING strings....:cop:

i also LOVE the tone on the Fenders 7250-5M........ but i get them killed in a matter of 2/3 hours... literally...

• Members

You need to try some DR's!

i have dude! theyre my number one choice, but theyre extremely expensive in europe... for a 5-string set we paid what... for you.... would be about... 70$... its absolutely insane.... but they have the best tone ever.... my fav are the Hi-Beams...

• Members

i have dude! theyre my number one choice, but theyre extremely expensive in europe... for a 5-string set we paid what... for you.... would be about... 70$... its absolutely insane.... but they have the best tone ever.... my fav are the Hi-Beams...

But how long do they last you? If they're going to last you a month or two, and they cost twice as much as the other strings...aren't you spending the same amount of money in the long run by replacing strings all the time?

I just changed my SR5 last night...it's been about 5 months! They were really dead, and I could have did it last month...but they weren't horrible.

• Members

You could always get them from the states via ebay or something. I got two sets of DR Lo-riders for $50+$15 shipping over to Norway. (4 string sets, but still.)

• Members

I just changed my SR5 last night...it's been about 5 months! They were really dead, and I could have did it last month...but they weren't horrible.

That's something I've noticed as well. Even when they're dead, they still sound pretty damned good!

I actually prefer the sound of dead DR High Beams on my '72 Jazz: it brings out the mids and attenuates the highs. Gives you a nice, vintage sound :thu:

Emre

Archived