Mesas Have Arrived! (pics!)

RSBro

• Members

If not, you'll have to give the M-Pulse a try with the GB NeoX-212T.

Edit: I'm stuck on my Mesa amps, the GB cab and passive P and PJ basses. I don't see that changing, except maybe adding another walkabout head and cabs.

Yeah actually those are next on my list, and I may even try one just because!

Do they come in both 4 and 8 ohms?

• Members
Nah they only come in 4 ohmers RSB, makes it interesting when you consider pairing it up with a GBE1200 :s you run really close to blowing it up.

Nice new rig man! looks just plain evil
:)

I think the 1200 can come close to blowing a lot of things up. That amp is no joke.

Who here has the 1200 on top of two 212 Neos? That is a serious rig o' doom. :thu:

• Members

Well I just got home from Tool, and damn- if I didn't have to be up at 7 AM tomorrow, I'd fire up the new Mesa rig and tear some off! :)

Justin was impeccable tonight. Had some gear switches too, but I'll share that in my review thread Monday... ;)

• Members
I have had her for just over 5 yrs now

dsc000302uv7.jpg

Nice.
That used to be one like mine, and now in the possession of a fellow forumite.
If I wasn't buying stuff for my Expedition tomorrow, I'd have that 115 in there as well! ;)

Just FMI, any reason you plug into the "Active" input? I only do the Passive nowadays, no matter the bass.

• Members
That rig is FREAKIN SWEET! Very nice.........

How do those Mesas compare to Eden and SWR cabs? (Eden and SWR being my fav. "good" cabs)

Thanks guys! I still haven't had much time to rock these yet, but I'll be bringing my Q5 fretted home today and really see how they work out.

As far as tone-wise, they're pretty clear like SWR and not overly colored like the Edens, say in the XLT line (not saying is bad, just saying thats how they are ;)). They still retain the punch however, and handle the low B very easily.

You can find mixed reviews about their suitability for anything but rock, as some have found that's really only what they're voiced for, but that's a small voice and I like most others can't think of a situation these wouldn't work great. They seem to take EQ pretty dang well, as I'd favor the bridge pickup and boost some mids to get that "burp" tone (ugh), and they responded as well as any other cab I've had.

I'm going to put out there that the Players Control Network and variable crossovers make a pretty big difference too. Also, having both tweeters run at 12 vs. having both off is like owning two TOTALLY different cabs. I'm still working on that combination, as having both off makes it sound a little dark for my tastes, but the tweeters are quite musical and are a good change from the one in my 8x8, which was pretty harsh at times.

All in all, these would work well for anyone, and if are buying second hand, no more expensive than any other cab in their league. A 410 instead of the 210 would be scary good! ;)

• Members

I finally got my Q5 fretted home and was able to try out the Mesas together and separately last night for about an hour.

212- By far my fave cab of the two. Honestly if I needed it, I'd get a second one. It's that good. Very loud and punchy, and handles the low B w/ aplomb. I tried a few different EQ settings just to see how it reacted, and it never farted out or came close to reaching it's peak. I even turned on my semi-para-EQ, which is setup for more of a reggae/dub tone, and even then the open B and lowest notes never got muddy or mushy. Very room-filling and well-voiced. Could make it do anything I wanted, really. Easily loud enough for a stand-alone cab, even though only being fed 300W @ 8 ohms.

210- Good volume for it's size, and pretty much the same as the 212 in every aspect, except about from the Eb down on the B string, with the para-EQ engaged, it started to cut out a little bit. If I were miking both cabs, I'd probably get some sort of limiter or x-over that would kill the signal below 40-45hz going to the 210. I'm not sure if the 410 would do the same, but the 212 has zero issues at all.

All in all, it's an excellent setup and with the 210 close to ear-level, the 212 doesn't drown it out at all.

Should keep me happy for at LEAST the next 6 mo's... ;)

Archived